Yeast for smaller batch brews

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewed_Force

Reaction score
I am currently doing 10L brews and have been throwing the whole contents of a packet of dried yeast into the FV. Is this wasteful or can I use half the packet and keep the rest for the next brew? How long will it keep once the packet is opened?

You can use half a pack and may benefit from not overpitching yeast. The yeast itself will keep. However, one of the things included in the price of yeast is the gaurantee of purity, opening a pack and storing raises contamination issues. It is here where the cost saving vs risk becomes a question of personal choice.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

Yup, use half a pack.
i use half of 10/11 gram packs up to 10 litres. Just seal up the other half,stick it in the fridge and re use, so far,never had any problems at all.:thumb:

As said above it will be safe to use half and just roll it up to reseal it

It's what I do with champagne yeast which I buy 100g's of at a time and it still works great - no off flavours or tinges, because I'm careful (mostly) when putting it back in the fridge

Back