Hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't add hops at 30 mins, I use bittering hops at 60 mins and then taste/aroma at 15 mins and flame out. I use brewing software to calculate amounts.

Does anyone still use the 60 / 30 / 15 / 0 method of adding hops on their brews ? Or am I still stuck in the 80's .... :lol: Even posting this I'm feeling old...:oops:

Lol yes.... me! But I'll go one better than that - I'm stuck in the 70's! Maybe time for change. What's the deal with chucking most or all of the hops in near the end of the boil?

It really depends on the hops and the type of oils they have. Some add lots at middle additions but others don't. Then you have the problem that almost everyone taste hops differently. You're going to have to find your style and how you like it. This is where brewing is fun. Get to make YOUR beer.

There's an interesting Basic Brewing podcast about this from 25th May:

http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=radio

They seem to think a 30 min addition adds something and has a place, but not neccessarily in a very hoppy brew where its just overpowered by all the late additions.

Good podcast link. That’s my entertainment sorted for the day [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always thought a 30 min addition would just get about half the potential bitterness as 60 min but still boil out all the flavour & aroma, but am willing to be wrong.

I always thought a 30 min addition would just get about half the potential bitterness as 60 min but still boil out all the flavour & aroma, but am willing to be wrong.
Boiling hops for 60 minutes doesn't boil out all the flavour, there is more to hops than alpha acids.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

Boiling hops for 60 minutes doesn't boil out all the flavour, there is more to hops than alpha acids.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

I agree but is there something you would get from a 30 min addition that you would not get more of with a longer or shorter boil?

The extraction of oils and acids, and the isomerisation and boil off of them isn't instant, it is a factor of time and temperature. So, yes, differently timed additions will have differing effects.

But would you say a 30 min addition would in any way be better than splitting it between earlier and later additions?

No better or worse, depends what you are brewing and what you are aiming for.

Is Dogfishhead 60 minute IPA better or worse for being continually hopped?

Here's something to think about. Original British IPAs were heavily hopped at the start of a long boil with no late hopping and only a low amount of dry hops added to the cask, before it was then stored for a year. These beers are legendary and gave birth to IPA as style, and are famous for being flavoursome, even though they were aged and often shipped across the globe in harsh conditions. Yet, the heavily late hopped modern American version we all love, doesn't last more than a few months before it becomes a dull and characterless. And certainly doesn't travel well, even in modern shipping conditions. Is there a benefit for having hops in the boil for longer?

Sorry I don't think I am explaining what I am getting at. What I am trying to say my current opinion (possibly incorrect) is that whatever a 30 min addition does you could get the same result using less hops by mixing this addition between a 60 min and a later addition, do you disagree?

I was told by my lhbs that boiling aroma hops for 15 minutes before adding would not increase the bitterness,but I'm not so sure,for me its either steep pellets around 60C for 20 minutes before adding or fresh pellets in the FV and let them fly free

Thanks for all the input. This was a long discussion, I had with the head brewer at Gales Ales (Horndean) just up the road from me , probably back in 1983/4 on a tour of the brewery, and it's been my mantle ever since. ( Gales HSB and that tour truly got me into brewing all grain ).

Does anyone still use the 60 / 30 / 15 / 0 method of adding hops on their brews ? Or am I still stuck in the 80's .... :lol: Even posting this I'm feeling old...:oops:

you're a child of the 80's i'm afraid. - lol

50-100g at 15 mins does the trick. I've over 50 but I brew like a millennial. (i.e) if it takes over 30mins to do, not interested. :oops:

Sorry I don't think I am explaining what I am getting at. What I am trying to say my current opinion (possibly incorrect) is that whatever a 30 min addition does you could get the same result using less hops by mixing this addition between a 60 min and a later addition, do you disagree?

Yes, you are explaining what you are getting at, and yes, I disagree.:grin:

The effect of time on boiling hops is more complicated than a simple exchange of aroma to bitterness in alpha acids. And using less hops will never be a substitute for using more hops, however you use them in the boil.

Back