Help Rookie first mistake

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopinator

Reaction score
Help is needed,

Ive just built my AG set up and todays the day my hops and malts have arrived.

But some how I have managed to order 5kg of uncrushed Malts.

Short of reordering and binning these is there any way of getting all this malt crushed. I have a food blender and coffee burr grinder at home as well as a hammer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ha cheers, whats annoying is the Cara Malt I ordered crushed but main one uncrushed.

I posted about this in an International (mainly Americans) brewing group on Facebook. By some coincidence, someone from the other end of Dundee responded to it and offered me free use of his!

Of course I gave him a couple of bottles in exchange.

I'm hoping I can get away with using my grinder on a very course setting, If I did this would it be better to increase the amount of malt used due to a loss of efficiency

You have a few options. Grain in a bag and smacking it with a rolling pin is one, but I wouldn't want to do 5kg that way. The coffee blender might work though even on the coarsest setting it will be a fine crush. This won't be a problem if your AG set up is BIAB, but otherwise lautering will be a nightmare. Some people do use a food processor, though this isn't ideal, but I don't think a blender would work. You can always try it out. The idea is to get the endosperm (inner bit) to split into 3 or 4 pieces, but keep the hull (outer bit) as intact as possible to help the wort drain away, like in the image on the left. A blender or coffee grinder will probably shred the hull a bit more so I'd keep an eye on.

05_GrainCrush2_coarseVSfine.jpg

Alternatively, where are you based? There might be a good-willed forumite close by who could crush it for you.

Thanks for that Ian, I'm based in Leeds / Wakefield, I was looking at more grinder than blender as blender would just cut it up. Although how happy I will be trying to put 5kg of malt though my coffee grinder is another matter.

Thanks for that Ian, I'm based in Leeds / Wakefield, I was looking at more grinder than blender as blender would just cut it up. Although how happy I will be trying to put 5kg of malt though my coffee grinder is another matter.

Have a look on the members map. I'm sure there are loads of guys in your neck of the woods who can grind it for you. Alternatively, take it to a local micro brewery and ask them to do it.

I have used a food proccesor in the past,not ideal but at a push it will do ok,not had a problem either.
take a look on ebay for a grinder,there were some on there a while back at around £20 or so.

I have used a food proccesor in the past,not ideal but at a push it will do ok,not had a problem either.
take a look on ebay for a grinder,there were some on there a while back at around �£20 or so.
Hey presto
just seen one for £12.99 plus postage. They are a tad rough around the edges but work fine:thumb:

Latest posts

Back