Yeast advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kakistos_uk

kakistos_uk
Reaction score
Hi Folks

This forum seems to suggest that trusting the yeast given in a kit might be a daft thing to do.

Can you advise a good source for learning more about which yeasts you should use?

Thanks, as always!

:thumb:

It's not so much as the type of yeast, more about the age and amount supplied. Buy yeast that has a use by date and pitch enough. Usually 11-13g for 20L of average strength beer.

My personal preference if using dry yeast is for Fermentis or Lallemand, but Mangrove Jacks, Crossmyloof and Wilkos Gervin all get good recommendations.
Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Discussions on yeast can be long and confusing when you first start looking into it. But with anything, start with the basics and at your own pace build on your knowledge. In a short time you will understand the basics, which is enough for most home brewers. Then when your ready and if your inclined you may want to start reclaiming yeast from one of your brews, storing and then making a yeast starter for your next brew. This is not only fun, but can save you some cash as well :)

is the amount of yest supplied really an issue? surely it multiplies itself as it gets to fermenting?
granted, it will increase the time needed, but given god-like patience (of which i'll admit i dont have).

It's also possible to make a starter from the yeast given in a kit. This ensures that the yeast in the kit is viable and also increases the number of yeast cells available.

Here's a link to preparing a Yeast Starter ...

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMhFerNTwbQ[/ame]

Here's a link to making a Stir-Plate ...

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHscyFmIUdU[/ame]

... and a photograph of the stir-plate that I knocked up. (It now has "Remove Spinner" written on it as a reminder to do just that before pitching the yeast. :doh:)

Enjoy. :thumb:

Stir Plate.jpg

is the amount of yest supplied really an issue? surely it multiplies itself as it gets to fermenting?
granted, it will increase the time needed, but given god-like patience (of which i'll admit i dont have).

It can be, if you don't pitch enough yeast it has to grow more which will stress it, producing extra esters and potentially failing to finish the fermentation. How much of an under-pitch you can get away with is less clear. Slow starts also give more of a chance for an infection to take hold.

This forum seems to suggest that trusting the yeast given in a kit might be a daft thing to do.
I don't know where the idea comes from that all kit yeasts can't be trusted. From someone who does kits, as a start point, I would only replace the 6g packet of yeast that comes with some Muntons kits e.g Wherry, Sundew, and even this is now being addressed by Muntons who say they will be increasing the yeast weight provided. Plus the yeast that Muntons provide is fine, there just isn't enough of it at 6g for a 20+ litre brew as was discussed at length on here recently. As for Coopers one can yeasts, I have always found them to be reliable, all of them, straight out of the packet, given there are several different sorts provided. So the only time I would consider changing a kit yeast of necessity is if it was nearing the sell by date for the kit, or if I was wanting to brew a lager at low temperatures which requires more yeast than would probably be provided with the kit.

Wilko kit yeast is only 6 gram but does a 23 litre job marvellously with a pretty consistent high attenuation, which is rather contradictory of the same yeast weight in the woodefords kits

I've done maybe a dozen kits now and always used the kit yeast sprinkled on top after a good aeration beating with the spoon. Never had an issue.

One did start slowly but that's because I'd taken the temperature down to about 16C. Once it came up the yeast took off and it's a lovely beer

I've always found Cooper's kit yeast to be very good; starts well and isn't temperature fussy. I only change the yeast if I'm experimenting with a particular type of yeast. So if your using Cooper's kits I wouldn't worry.

Latest posts

Back