Miscalculated on the sugar?!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OlliesDad

Reaction score
Hello,

Rather than merely dumping a load of apple juice in an FV and bunging yeast on top, I have been experimenting with some proper "recipes" recently.

Today's was a fruit TC aiming for about 7% ABV. However, I think I miscalculated the additional sugar as, upon taking an SG reading it was 1061 which, if brewed out to dry, is going to give me 8% (if my calculations are correct!). OK, it's within tolerance maybe, but I also want to carbonate and the priming sugar is going to make it stronger still?

My normal approach would be to allow it to brew out to dry, batch prime and back-sweeten then bottle.

Should I instead bottle before primary is complete? Would this allow secondary fermentation to carb up the bottles? At what SG would you bottle if you were to do it this way?

If i leave it and then batch prime I'm also concerned about the yeats coping with the increased alcohol levels? I used a "standard" Homebrew Online cider yeast.

What other options might there be? If I'm priming with about 6g sugar per 500ml do you think it would make a noticeable difference to the ABV?

Does this all make sense? Am I talking rubbish? What would you advise?

Cheers

NICK

You're worrying about nothing, well in my world you are - once it's finished you can't make it stronger, but you can always make it weaker!
I make it like this as I don't like to drink in large volumes and add 1kg sugar per 24 litres juice + other sugary additives so end up about 8 - 9%. If you don't like it that strong water it down as you serve it with apple juice, but you shouldn't have any problem with the yeast coping.

You're worrying about nothing, well in my world you are - once it's finished you can't make it stronger, but you can always make it weaker!
I make it like this as I don't like to drink in large volumes and add 1kg sugar per 24 litres juice + other sugary additives so end up about 8 - 9%. If you don't like it that strong water it down as you serve it with apple juice, but you shouldn't have any problem with the yeast coping.

I did think about this but was worried about watering down the "body".

I know I'll drink it anyway, just kinda wanted to get it "right".

Maybe I worry too much....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did think about this but was worried about watering down the "body".

I know I'll drink it anyway, just kinda wanted to get it "right".

Maybe I worry too much....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyone's taste is different, brew it out and see. Also, read the 'Cider is awful' for some ideas on body.

Back