after fermenting

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark1964

Landlord.
Reaction score
according to my recipe after fermentation is finished it says to transfer brew to another fv with an airlock and add finings would it be ok for me to add finings to 1st fv leave for a couple of days to settle then just bottle in to primed bottles??????? :cheers:

I wouldn't bother with finings unless your yeast isn't dropping, the beer clearing. I rarely bother to do a secondary transfer, unless I am adding more aroma hops then.
I would just prime your bottles and go from the FV when it has finished. :thumb:

You can get a "cleaner" beer by letting all the yeast settle out. When you transfer to the secondary it keeps on fermenting and you get a deposit of yeast on the bottom. You can harvest this deposit as it will be free of any bits carried over from the boiler. SO if you are doing back-to-back brews you can drop it straight on to this yeast cake and it will take off fast. :thumb:

Some people always use a secondary, others never do (I am in the second camp) how much difference in beers ??? Only way of testing would be bottle some and then drop to secondary and bottle after another week there, then compare them. :grin:

Horses for courses, some beer may taste better treated this way, some may not make any difference. If what you produce tastes fine to you then that is all that matters. :drink:

ok thanks ill be doing it your way this time as i dont have another fv but ill get one on in a couple of weeks and on the next brew ill try it by the book see what the difference is :cheers:

Latest posts

Back