White Zinfandel Kit Recommendation?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrP

Reaction score
Hi,

Having learned a lot from this excellent site - I've made several kits and WOW's - all with pretty damned amazing results - Mrs P was sceptical when I started, but has not bought a single bottle from the supermarket in the last 9 months, so I must be doing something right :)

However - one wine that she really likes is Sutter Home White Zinfandel. Any white zinfandel in fact seems to go down well with her, actually..

I've made some decent rose-style wines from juices - Asda's red grape, strawberry & kiwi seems to make a nice one, but I'm looking to get something even closer to the white zinfandel ones that Mrs P likes so much.

So - my question is - has anyone a recommendation for any of the commercial white zinfandel kits? Looking to make a 5 gallon one for reasons of economy. I see the California Connoisseur white zinfandel kits, but only seem to be able to find the 1 gallon ones.

Any recommendations, anyone?

Thanks.

Hi i have made 30 bottles of the above at the tail end of last season ready for the summer months. despite the lack of sunshine the Zinfandel has been flowing. It a very easy drink and tastes fantastic. Well worth it and you will not be disappointed

I made the CC one from Brew UK last week and it's bloody lovely, only got 25 bottles but could def get the 30 if I'd have known quite how good the finings were and not left so much each time in the bucket. It is on the dry side for a WZ though but you can easily sweeten it and we really enjoy it as it is, though I may sweeten it a little next time.

Crystal clear and as good as shop bought, Highly recommended by us....

Thanks meirion658 - I'd heard good things about the Vintners Reserve kits, so might well give this one a try once I've got a fermenter free - have just put two Sauvignon Blanc & Chardonnay kits on to build up stocks for the BBQ season - once it gets here and actually stays, that is :)

Still - could be an excuse to pop by the local HBS this afternoon on the way back from the office. Mrs P is at our daughters' for a week, so might not notice the appearance of another container on the kitchen worktop.... right!!!

Thanks Hooligan - the Sutter Home that Mrs P likes is rather sweet - so back-sweeting this one might be an option (though I'd always be worried about sweetening *too* much - especially as most kits seem to improve after a few months' storage anyway). Just need to find a 30 bottle kit - all I can find are the 6 bottle ones.

Appreciate your recommendation though - thank you!

I have had great results with the California Connoisseur and the Kenridge Classic white Zinfandel, but I did not like the Vintner's Reserve kit. This had a flavour pack of grape juice that you add with some sorbate at the end of the fermentation making the finished wine excessively sweet and fruity for a wine lover.

Back