The Berkshire Home brew club(TBHBC)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi
Just saw this thread and I live fairly close. Is there room for more members and when is the next meeting?
Adrian

Bonjour one and all hope all is well in them boozy goodies?? All is good my end, brewed a Black IPA 2day as i was cask washing. Well who can argue, get paid to drink coffee, chat with with friends brew some beer and wash a few hundred "9's"! Happy Days. If any one wants the recipe than ill email it over no prob's. Im sure u can upload it on here some how but I've not a clue. If any one can help then that be amaz. Its a funny beer to grasp the black ipa, a truck load of hops and I mean a truck load (13 oz). Cold mash the roast and chocolate for colour only. Crazy black magic. Was a good brew day I'm supper excited to have a taste in a few weeks. Update to follow.

The real reason you guys are on this thread is the home brew club so I better get on with it. The first meeting is still on the Sunday 29th November. Looking to Arrive at 12pm and depart around 4pm. I will post an update after my holiday I'm of to the states for sun, beach and beer :-) No cask tho so thats a bummer. If u have not got your tickets for octoberwest than get a move on. As of this morn we were at 526 tickets sold. There is no other beer festival like it (in Berkshire tho) lol I'm truly gutted I'm away. But please get the tx, email, FB out to all ya mates and get down for there its gonna be awesome. All the brew house lads will be there so you can pick there brains. Also lush food and a belter beer list to keep u fed and watered.

Thanks to all who have posted in-between my post its much appreciated to keep the thread updated. First beer is on me ;-) Cant wait to see the volume of brewers in the area as I really want to see the scene evolve. Catch u all soon.

Regards Steve.

I live in Calcot, Reading. Been an all grain home brewer since 1972. Just love Mr Chubb's Anytime Quaffable Ale ( :) ) and Good Old Boy etc .... Walk past The Potkiln lots, and even venture to Home Farm when making a longer circular walk from Ashhamstead via The Flour Barn and Casey Fields.

I've tried to brew Eldridge Pope's 'Royal Oak' ever since their demise as brewers, and now haven't a clue about how it tasted .... So my own winter ale recipe is modified to use a combination of UK, European and North American hops .... and the use of dry hopping with Cascade or Mount Hood is quite interesting as well.

Current brew: 4th generation Wyeast 1968 ESB now being propagated using a homemade stir-plate. This brew will be OG 1052, 32 EBU, 40 EBC, Grains: Maris Piper + Golden Promise; Adjuncts: Crystal Malt + others, Hops: Challenger, Goldings, Cascade, Mount Hood .... and should be ready for sampling mid-November. (... and I do modify the tap water ..... oddly enough, the additives are very close to Dave Line's in his book 'Brewing Beers like those you buy' ... but then Thames Water Analysis is so out of date that it all comes down to guesswork!)

I hope this group gets off the ground and we can all sample each other's brews and learn a lot from each other :) :) :)

Cheers,

N

Greetings from the Florida pan handle. hope is is well in the home brew world. Any one attend the the Octoberwest fest ? I hear it was a brillient day/night.

We have the liquor tested every 3/6 months depending on sample result's we get during brew days. We send a sample of the liquor to Murphy & Sons and they give us a full break down of the Ca,Mg,C03,S04,Cl,No3,CaCo3,total hardness and PH. Its around £15 per test so money well spent. They are super helpful and it takes out the guess work so you can really get you liquor bang on.
Hope this helps guys.
Steve

is this still going ahead?
If so, need to know location and time (assuming 29th Nov still).
Also, for those who haven't been to these sort of things - what to bring along.
many thanks
BG

Good evening very one. You all be happy to know that I've finally got 95% of the home brew club sorted with just a few things left to do. Im sorry for the lack of updates. The meeting is still on the 29TH November at The West Berkshire Brewery between 12pm & 4pm. The first meeting is really just a get together, I'll be talking about the club set up and all the bits to go with it. My CEO and the Head brewer we be saying a few things and off course the bar will have one of my home brews and a selection of WBB beers on. The shop will be fully open if any one fancy stocking up on the xmas goodies.

I have set up Facebook(theberkshirehomebrew club) and email [email protected]. please add me on Facebook.

Last thing can every one who is attending the first meeting please email me or join the group on Facebook as we are just working out numbers.
kind regards
Steve Munro
:cheers:

Mazzer,

I'll be bringing a couple of bottles of Theale Winter Ale based on Maris Otter and Golden Promise for sampling. Sofar it's working ... ABV expected = 5.2% Hops are both UK and New World :) :) :) Yeast is 4th generation Wyeast ESB. Water is Wheeler's Calculator modified with a bit of Palmer ..... (+++ Ca )

Cheers,

Nige

Afternoon all, yea bring your beers no worries, Look forward to meeting you all and getting the club started off. Any questions drop me an email. See you all soon.

What times everyone arriving? 12til 4 is an long time and I don't want to be the Billie no mates as I sob uncontrollably, alone in a room clutching 2 bottles of Vole Catcher.
Bg

What times everyone arriving? 12til 4 is an long time and I don't want to be the Billie no mates as I sob uncontrollably, alone in a room clutching 2 bottles of Vole Catcher.
Bg

I'm probably going to turn up at 12 as am only a couple of miles down the road and SWMBO will be dropping me off.
Will be bringing one on the 4 lyre kegs with me

My Winter Ale (short of 5 weeks maturation) has just been tasted ... Nice and Malty ... possibly 5.8% ABV

Cheers,

Nige (Calcot, Reading)

Currently drinking Chilean Merlot (from Laithwaites)

Latest posts

Back