No fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulcammack

Reaction score
Hi guys, I bought a Chocolate Maple Porter kit from the Brooklyn Brew Shop and followed the instructions to the letter but appears the beer isnt fermenting. I used a blow off tube for a couple of days (as per instructions) with very little to no co2 escaping but now have moved onto an airlock with zero activity. Also, my beer seems to have seperated (as per the photo)

I would like to point out that this is my first home brew so am doing everything blind with no prior experience!

Thanks for the help in advance!

Paul

IMG_3606.jpg

To me that all looks normal, although you do seem to have an inordinate amount of trub (sediment) in he bottom of the demijohn. The scum around the top of the DJ which I'm guessing is what you term 'seperating' is actually krausen scum. It a very good sign as it indicates that your beer has fermented to some extent. You now need to get (if you don't already possess one - you can get them from wilko or tescum clik & collect for about 3 quid) a hydrometer and take a gravity reading. This will tell you how much your beer has fermented and whether it has reached terminal gravity (finished fermenting)

Oh, and welcome to the forum

Hi Marcarm, no I haven't taken any gravity readings. Do you know roughly what the reading should be once it's finished fermenting?

Hi rodabod, the vessel is sitting under my sink at around room temperature - not sure what that is though!?

I cooled wort to 70 degrees F and then strained it into the glass fermenter before adding the yeast. Then I shook it to activate the yeast before fixing the blow off tube.

You didn't try to get any oxygen into the liquid to help the yeast? If not, might be worth shaking that vessel until the contents start to get frothy (ie. shake it a lot). There are other methods which would work better, but that's the simplest.

To me that all looks normal, although you do seem to have an inordinate amount of trub (sediment) in he bottom of the demijohn. The scum around the top of the DJ which I'm guessing is what you term 'seperating' is actually krausen scum. It a very good sign as it indicates that your beer has fermented to some extent. You now need to get (if you don't already possess one - you can get them from wilko or tescum clik & collect for about 3 quid) a hydrometer and take a gravity reading. This will tell you how much your beer has fermented and whether it has reached terminal gravity (finished fermenting)

Oh, and welcome to the forum

I've convinced myself the trub is actually a reflection of something but I'm probably wrong.

I've convinced myself the trub is actually a reflection of something but I'm probably wrong.

How do you mean, "a reflection of something?

Trub is made up of break material/proteins, live and dead yeast cells and hop debris. I've recently trying to reduce the amount of trub by skimming the scum you get on the top of the boil, as from what I've read, large chunks of protein material which contributes a significant amount of trub. I think it's working

How do you mean, "a reflection of something?

Trub is made up of break material/proteins, live and dead yeast cells and hop debris. I've recently trying to reduce the amount of trub by skimming the scum you get on the top of the boil, as from what I've read, large chunks of protein material which contributes a significant amount of trub. I think it's working

I meant the trub in his photo is just a reflection and not actually trub. :lol:

I did shake the tank once I'd pitched the yeast to activate it. Do you think it's worth doing again or maybe pitching some mor yeast?

here's my thoughts/questions:

- the stuff at the top looks like yeast to me, could it be that when putting the yeast in and shaking it got stuck to the sides of the glass? Either that or it is scum from the krausen.

- How long overall has the beer been fermenting?

- agree the large trub like feature must be a reflection!

- could it be your lid isn't air tight, rendering your air lock redundant?

- as advised by others, take hydrometer readings, this will give you the best idea of how the ferment is going.

Good luck and welcome on board.

I did shake the tank once I'd pitched the yeast to activate it. Do you think it's worth doing again or maybe pitching some mor yeast?

No harm in shaking it, as long as you avoid letting fresh air in as that could lead to infection, potentially.

Have you not seen any evidence of yeast activity at all? Shine a torch into it and look for tiny bubbles rising.

No harm in shaking it, as long as you avoid letting fresh air in as that could lead to infection, potentially.

Have you not seen any evidence of yeast activity at all? Shine a torch into it and look for tiny bubbles rising.

I'd be a bit worried about oxidising the beer if fermentation has happend/partly happened. As you say, if the OP avoids letting any new air in this, in theory, shouldn't happen but I'd still worry about doing it.

here's my thoughts/questions:

- the stuff at the top looks like yeast to me, could it be that when putting the yeast in and shaking it got stuck to the sides of the glass? Either that or it is scum from the krausen.

- How long overall has the beer been fermenting?

- agree the large trub like feature must be a reflection!

- could it be your lid isn't air tight, rendering your air lock redundant?

- as advised by others, take hydrometer readings, this will give you the best idea of how the ferment is going.

Good luck and welcome on board.

I think the stuff at the top of the DJ is yeast and not krausen as I haven't seen much fermenting activity happening at all.

The beers been fermenting in the DJ for 1 week and 2 days.

I've tested the airlock and its tight so there's no problem there.

I'm going to get a hydrometer today so will take a reading and let you know the results. I've read in other forums that it might be worth pitching some more yeast, do you think that is the case here?

Cheers

I've taken a gravity reading and it's at 1.050. Is this ok? Bearing in mind the beers been sat for 1 week and 4 days. I also bought some yeast, is it worth pitching some more in? I also had a smell and it smells like ale but with an 'off' smell to it too!? Any ideas?

Assuming its dried yeast, rehydrate it in sterile water and add a little boiling water to bring it up to the low 20's like 24-25c. Stir the yeast and soak for 30 mins or so. 50-100ml water should do.

Now pour this cream/slurry into your vessel and re-seal. Shake the hell out of the vessel to get some of the oxygen in the air to absorb into the wort. Alternatively, if its too hard to shake the vessel, pour some of the wort into another sterilised vessel, say 2L or so, and aerate this in a similar fashion by shaking it to get air in it before pouring it back into your main vessel.

If you are sure that there is an off-smell which is likely to make it undrinkable, then you could possibly try re-boiling the wort first, cooling to 20c, and then pitching your hydrated yeast.

Latest posts

Back