Genius - Guinness Clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewStew

Regular.
Reaction score
Definitely my favourite AG brew so far:

GeniusIcon-1.png

Batch Size (L): 24.00
Total Grain (kg): 5.250
Anticipated OG: 1042-1045
IBU 35

Brewhouse Efficiency: 80%
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
3.750 kg. Pale Malt - Maris Otter
1.000 kg. Flaked Barley
0.500 kg. Crushed Roast Barley

Hops
70.0g Northern Brewer Hops (60 minutes Boil)

5g Irish Moss Fining 15 Min. (boil)

Yeast
Safale 04

90 minute mash @ 66 deg C
Boil for 60 minutes

IMAGE_164.jpg

IMAGE_163-1.jpg

better than the real thing IMHO

Any considerations for maturation time?

I bottled a very similar recipe on 8th September and it's still a bit harsh with the roast barley flavours. I wonder if there's too much in there? One other point, I do find it quite heavy goging - not something that I could drink more than 1 or 2 pints of.

Perhaps my mash temperature was to blame - and stupidly I can't remember what I mashed at (and didn't write it down).

It is a lovely pint nonetheless but I'm gonna squirrel a few bottles away till December to try then.

personally i love that roasted flavour... i found mine was lovely after two weeks in the keg. bottling wise i cant say. the only thing i've got in the bottle is the Genius i over hopped :oops:

aye it's a bit like Guinness when it comes to the weight, but i'm a big Guinness fan anyway and can drink the stuff like milk from a hot young woman's breasts

i've no doubt though that the roastedness will fade, as i've found that it did with my kegged Genius... as for when though in bottles... i'm afraid i've no idea.

t'will be a lurvely winter warmer though eh?

Aye it will!

I only questioned the recipe since I've brewed this for a friend so wanted it to be close to Guinness as I claimed it would be ;) Being a non-brewer he's been hassling me to try it before it had time to mature and I was reluctant since I knew it wasn't quite ready yet.

'Black as tar - thick as porridge!'

ah... the thought occurs

are you in a hard water area? my water (and that in dublin) is EXTREMELY hard. the roasted malt in those volumes counteracts the hardness.

if you're in a soft water area i can understand it if the roasted is overpowering.

BrewStew said:
and can drink the stuff like milk from a hot young woman's breasts

haha i just realised how weird that sounded.. and no i havent... but i was staring at the woman in the Guru Josh - Infinity 2008 vid and thought "i wouldn't mind" when i wrote that :rofl:

Lol - made me laugh this morning at work ;)

Interesting comments about the hard water. I do have hard water but as matter-of-course I treated it to soften it (stupidly). Next time I'll leave it alone and see how it turns out. Thanks for the tip!

no worries ;)

i'm always a bit nervous when someone says they're gunna try my recipes... just incase they hate it :oops: hopefully you like it though

i really want someone to try my rauchbier recipe.. that's my best so far and suits my water without treatments perfectly.

its feckin lovely :D

Despite my own reservations about how I brewed this, today I've had three very positive comments from people I dished a bottle out to at work last week - So much so that they want to 'put an order in' for some more :shock:

So, do I brew it again identically to how I brewed it last time (my usual CRS water treatment) or should I leave the water hard and hope people still like it? :hmm:

I think I'll brew this again next Monday.

i say, do it without treatment... oh and add 500g Wheat Malt to the grain bill like my tard recipe... if you got good reactions from this, you'll get great reactions from the taRd version ;)

have you got ph strips? it might be worth double checking the ph before you think about treating it. even with my hard water, my mash ph actually ended up just slightly lower than the ideal... but it worked a treat! :)

I have some PH strips but I've only used them to check mash PH... What am I looking for if testing the water?

i believe (though no doubt i'll be corrected if wrong) the ideal mash ph is 5 :hmm: i've only ever treated my water once, and that was for a pale ale, as pales aren't ideal with hard water, while darks are.

ok, this is going to earn me some very horrible looks but, as a novice, i must ask

am I reading it wrong or is there no sugar in this?
I just brought a "clone beers" book i notice that the two recipes i most want to try out (Newcastle brown and Guiness) have no apprent sugar in them

could someone jsut clear this up (and most probably bully) me

thanks.

TDT said:
ok, this is going to earn me some very horrible looks but, as a novice, i must ask

am I reading it wrong or is there no sugar in this?
I just brought a "clone beers" book i notice that the two recipes i most want to try out (Newcastle brown and Guiness) have no apprent sugar in them

could someone jsut clear this up (and most probably bully) me

thanks.
No bullying on here :nono:
There will be no sugar in the recipes that you have read because they are "all grain" recipes :thumb:
What this means is that as brewers we are going to take barley which has been allowed to germinate under controlled conditions and then dried to stop the process.
This process enables the enzymes naturally present within the barley to be available for us to use.
This germinated and dried barley is now known as green malt, this will be roasted to differing degrees to give us different coloured malts, such as pale, crystal, chocolate, black etc.
We then soak an amount of these malts (which have been crushed) to allow the enzymes in the malt to turn the starch which is in the barley into mainly maltose sugar :party: This is mashing :thumb:
It is this maltose and other sugars created during the mash which are fermented by the yeast to give us our beer :cool:

Guinness gets a hell of a lot of bad press and most of it undeserved. It's definitely a unique beer and I'm more than happy to quaff it given an oppurtunity. I think a lot of the negativity comes from the marketing and a perceived commercial stigma but f-em if you enjoy something go for it. I'll be jotting down the notes from this thread as plenty of my mates enjoy a Guinness too.

To steal a line from my Red Brethren (Love United - Hate Glazer)... Love Guinness - Hate Diageo

I can recommend this recipie in my opinion it is better than guinness ever since I made this its been my house beer and brewed many times :thumb:

Latest posts

Back