Building my own home bar - out of a Welsh Dresser?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickW

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Busy lately sorting the new house!

Ive got tonnes of thaughts running through my head - I want to make a little mini bar in my (hopefully soon to be) new house.

I've been looking at pre-made bars and they are stupid prices: http://www.dukewood.com/bars.asp?gclid= ... 3godci7dqA

But I've been looking at dressers, such as this one for example: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Solid-Oak-Welsh-D ... 240%3A1318

Surely its possible to make some kind of rustic bar out of a dresser like this? As long as the bottom section is big enough to hold a couple of standard cornies!

Surely by modifying a dresser - you can emulate something similar/better than this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pine-Home-Bar_W0Q ... otohosting ?

I'd love to hear your ideas! As Im sure a couple of you at least have your own bar.

Any Suggestions?

(PS - If you need to move the post let me know, not sure if ive posted to the right place!)

them prices for the bar are bloody stupid, as for the dresser, i personally can't see it being turned into a bar, besides it would ruin the dresser!!
Why not make one from scratch mate?, get some nice wood for the bar itself, then make a frame, and the fill in the fron with tongue and groove, varnished a nice dark mahogany colour, or maybe you could use bricks instead...then you can just add to it as you please..i'm no handyman , but thats my thoughts at the moment....

By the way that pine bar in my opinion is *****!

i agree with F on all accounts!

if you're even half decent with power tools you can pull off something way better than that pine ****, and at less than a third of the price!

my bar may only be made out of MDF and a (rather large) off-cut of kitchen worktop, but it still gets the "oohs" and "wow's" when someone new comes round.

for under £100 in materials and paint (so far.... i want to add some mouldings and a chrome footrail which will be about another £100, but it's not necessary) i think it's a bargain! :cool: best of all, i built it so it is mobile and can be moved easily... whether that's for a party, or moving house! those super expensive ones cant do that without being completely dismantled!

Fek me their expensive pieces of ****.... I supose they are made for the lazy toffs who CBA brewing their own but buy it from the comercial brewers .....

On a more serious not build your own and dont wreck a dresser .. A decent wooden frame a top and some tounge and groove is a start for the shalves some ply will do job done.. As Brew said it is easy enough just takes a little time and you can have it the size you want not what some other pillok thinks you want...

I made mine, total cost was around £40 including varnish. I used a round edged 'furniture grade' pine plank form Block & Quayle, they have various lengths, widths and thicknesses, for the top. Something like 50mmx50mm for the carcass and dirt cheap t&g cladding to hide my handywork. Thre coats of quick drying varnish and I was done in about 3-4 hours.

Behind the scenes is space for the coneys and somewhere to chain the CO2 cylinder safely and the chiller fits in too, it does make swmbo laugh but, deep down, I reckon she likes it.

Pine Panelled doors cut to an appropriate size for the carcass, Worktop for the counter . . . sorted

Might sound tacky with a worktop but my local has exactly the same and it looks the ********.

as suggested id just make one yourself
im planning on making one in the not too distant future
i was just going to build a frame with batton,cover it with ply,add some squares on the front/side with beading and some corner beading to cover any **** edges,add a couple of doors on the front with brass handles
get some decent wood for the top and screw some stairwell handrail to the top edge and then varnish it all up

Back