HERMS/RIMS hybrid build

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peebee

Out of Control
Reaction score
I'd been meaning to post up my brewery build for a while. Finally sort of got around to it, okay its not the build instructions but the "operations manual" but it contains all the information an enthusiastic builder might need.

Some useful little features like HERMS/RIMS hybrid, dual use heat exchanger (HERMS and cooling) and (almost) foolproof electrical control (however, I don't recommend anyone who thinks they come close to being a "fool" attempts building it!).

Sorry it's an external link, but this is the site I had promised to post it on. I expect to be adding more information to it over time.

http://www.angelhomebrew.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=51&sid=3994592bfddd384d0a37363b6811a985

A picture here would be handy...

2016-05-22 09.07.23 WEB.jpg

Sorry it's an external link, but this is the site I had promised to post it on. I expect to be adding more information to it over time.

No problem with external links. :thumb:

What size pots are they? And size of the fermenter?

Boiler - 100L
Mashtun & HLT - 70L

Mashtun clad in wood battens and sits on "spacers" so it appears the same size as the boiler it sits next to. And the cladding is to improve the... blah, blah, blah. Na, its just to look pretty!

The fermenter is 65L, but it does 45L okay. 45L is the smallest quantity the brewery can do.

The design has two major aims: 1) Brew beer! 2) Induce jealousy in all who see it.

P.S. The HLT is a bit smaller than recommendations you may come across. But the mashing water is put in the mashtun and heated together with the HLT using the HERMS heat exchanger. Just before mashing the water in the mashtun is heated to strike temperature using the RIMS heater and so is independent of the HLT temperature. It then returns to HERMS to maintain the mash temperature for the period of the mash. Snazzy.

ERRATUM
A small warning for anyone who's downloaded the "operation manual" and wants to build the control box.

I've discovered a minor error in the circuit drawings: One of the switches in "RELAY 12" has been drawn the wrong way around. It would prevent the boiler being switched on. I noticed it when trying to wire in an alarm to warn that the boiler has been put on timer (an unlikely scenario).

I'll update the drawings as soon as possible.

Latest posts

Back