hops enigma

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikwin

Reaction score
I have a Saaz Hops plant now in its third year and , by far normally the most vigorous plant in my stable. However, it grew well even during our cool Spring and when our temperatures rose, it ceased to grow. We had two days of 25*C, almost unheard of so early in the season, only last week. I live in UK at 56*N.
I thought perhaps too much water was depriving the plant of air. Probing fresh side drill holes at the bottom of the pot only confirmed that the plant was dry. It was fed with 1/2 gallon standard strength Miracle grow with no result and extra water.
Some of the leaves are beginning to brown and curl but, suspecting fungal attack which has affected my other hops in the past, it was sprayed with anti-fungal which may have contributed to chemical damage to the leaves during the hot spell .
My remaining plants, Fuggles,Early bird, Challenger and a miniature Golden something or other are leaping up the trellises. Top performers are already about 12 feet high.
Has anyone else had such a problem and could you possibly help.I can't think of what other problems might be at work. Thank you.

Hi and welcome to the forum. I dont grow hop plants so can't answer your question. We have a number of members who do though. @johnnyboy1965 is an experienced hop plant grower who may be able to answer

I have a Saaz Hops plant now in its third year and , by far normally the most vigorous plant in my stable. However, it grew well even during our cool Spring and when our temperatures rose, it ceased to grow. We had two days of 25*C, almost unheard of so early in the season, only last week. I live in UK at 56*N.
I thought perhaps too much water was depriving the plant of air. Probing fresh side drill holes at the bottom of the pot only confirmed that the plant was dry. It was fed with 1/2 gallon standard strength Miracle grow with no result and extra water.
Some of the leaves are beginning to brown and curl but, suspecting fungal attack which has affected my other hops in the past, it was sprayed with anti-fungal which may have contributed to chemical damage to the leaves during the hot spell .
My remaining plants, Fuggles,Early bird, Challenger and a miniature Golden something or other are leaping up the trellises. Top performers are already about 12 feet high.
Has anyone else had such a problem and could you possibly help.I can't think of what other problems might be at work. Thank you.

Be careful with miracle grow as to much can actually kill plants, but in my stable of hops, currently have target, northern brewer, Saaz and cascade growing and its fair to say the Saaz is having the hardest time. but as its my first year growing them have no expectations this year.

I did see this post but only just got around to replying.
If your Saaz has been in a pot for 3 years it has probably used up all the nutrient in the growing medium. Scrape of the top 3 inches of soil/compost and replace with John Innes No3 . If you can, lift the pot and look to see if there are any roots growing through the bottom. These will look like small white threads. If so, the bine has out grown its pot and is time to re-plant to a bigger pot.
It is a little late in the growing season to do this, but shouldnt affect the plant.

Saaz hops are a variety that like cooler weather.

Brown curly leaves is almost certainly under watering.

Any other Q`s please ask.
HTH

I did see this post but only just got around to replying.
If your Saaz has been in a pot for 3 years it has probably used up all the nutrient in the growing medium. Scrape of the top 3 inches of soil/compost and replace with John Innes No3 . If you can, lift the pot and look to see if there are any roots growing through the bottom. These will look like small white threads. If so, the bine has out grown its pot and is time to re-plant to a bigger pot.
It is a little late in the growing season to do this, but shouldnt affect the plant.

Saaz hops are a variety that like cooler weather.

Brown curly leaves is almost certainly under watering.

Any other Q`s please ask.
HTH

Cheers JB. Your always my goto if a forumite has a hop plant Q that noone else has answered :thumb:

Following on...If you need to grow hops in a pot, then you need a very big pot. The root ball of hop plants get very very big. I dug up 3 hop plant from my allotment 4 years ago the the root balls were the size of a beach ball. Even the biggest pot available is not big enough to sustain a hop plant.
I recommend that you get a green plastic dustbin (B+Q...£9.00)
Drill loads of holes in the bottom and fill the bottom with 6 inches of broken down polystyrer.
Fill the bin with a mix of :-
25% topsoil
25% well rotted horse manure
25% General Purpose Compost
25% of horticultral grit.

I know it big and some people cant get that into their growing space, but this set up and mixture will out live the life of the bine

Thanks admin. for my welcome to the forum.
My thanks also to all who have replied to my query.
On reflection, my pot is clearly too small for the purpose. Lack of watering was proven by my experimental bore holes into the side of the pot its lower end. My other types of hop are in much bigger pots.
My success in hop cultivation is , so far ,nil-- not a single fully developed flower as yet from the Fuggles and the Saaz but I intend to persevere.The others Early bird and Challenger are supposed to stand a better chance of some productivity this far North.
There is interesting work on hops being done at a College in Dundee but so far, they have not replied to any of my enquiries. Apparently they have had singular success in experimental hop growing.
They have not replied to any of my enquiries so I can't tell you anything about their activities. I suspect, they may have adopted the farming methods of this area which centres on producing early fruits under square miles of polythene but this is just a guess on my part.Shopping tomorrow for a large plastic bin.

Latest posts

Back