What to do with Tettnang and Ahtanum Hops?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teadixon

Reaction score
I've got some left over Tettnang and Ahtanum Hops from a recipe I did a little while back. I don't seem to have any other recipes that use them.

What are they good for?

I'm planning a Saison and a Tripel soon, could either of those use them?

Sadly I don't have the cooling kit to do lagers... I say sadly, I'm not much of a lager drinker anyway.

You could do the equivalent pale ale version then, just find a recipe you like the look of and sub the usual pilsner malt for pale ale malt and use a clean ale yeast (such as US-05) and ferment at normal ale temps

What did you use them for first time around?

Tastes pretty nice so far. It's down to 1002 so it's probably done. I've got 15g of tettnang left so I'm probably going to dry hop with it (12 litre batch), just to do something slightly different.

Ahtanum has a nice flavour for late hops in any pale fairly crisp beer but its subtle and easily overpowered, no idea on the other one.

What did you use them for first time around?

I used them for a recipe from the Mikeller book - a low ABV American Wheat Ale called Drinkin' The Sun. It didn't turn very well - a bad taste that I think is astringency (though it could be sourness). It's drinkable, but not exactly nice. I don't really feel like trying to do it again.

I used them for a recipe from the Mikeller book - a low ABV American Wheat Ale called Drinkin' The Sun. It didn't turn very well - a bad taste that I think is astringency (though it could be sourness). It's drinkable, but not exactly nice. I don't really feel like trying to do it again.

If you look at the green gold recipe in that book, tettnang is a substitute for one of the dry hops (can't remember the name, sorry, but it's the one that's not Amarillo).

I've got some left over Tettnang and Ahtanum Hops from a recipe I did a little while back. I don't seem to have any other recipes that use them.

What are they good for?

I'm planning a Saison and a Tripel soon, could either of those use them?

I used tettnang to bitter a wheat beer the low % alpha acids are in line with the style, but then I dry hopped with Ahtanum which worked out well :smile:

I think the ahtanum would fade in a saison by the time its really ready to drink.

Latest posts

Back