Do hops need to be vacuum packed ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Personal91

Landlord.
Reaction score
Afternoon All

I've just had some hop pellets arrive in the post and some of the packs are vaccum packed and some are not, is this an issue ?

Whenever I have ordered hops online or bought from stores in the past they've been 'vacuum packed for freshness' or I have bought whole flower loose. Should I be concerned and will it have a detrimental enough effect that I should ask for new vaccum packed stock be sent to me or even mention it at all as there's been another snag with the order ?

If you're worried, open them and smell them. The smell should impress you. If it is underwhelming, they may have lost freshness along the way.

But, if they are for bittering, as opposed to flavour or aroma, freshness is less of a concern.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

If you're worried, open them and smell them. The smell should impress you. If it is underwhelming, they may have lost freshness along the way.

But, if they are for bittering, as opposed to flavour or aroma, freshness is less of a concern.

I've got 6 bags of hops, I can't justify opening most of them as won't brewing for a few days atleasr as am on nights

A few days will be ok. Just seal them back up as best you can, then freeze them. They won't deteriorate much, if at all, in only a matter of days

A few days will be ok. Just seal them back up as best you can, then freeze them. They won't deteriorate much, if at all, in only a matter of days

The problem be is that I'm planning 6 SMASH's so won't be happening in a week or 2 ( not unless I find a lot of motivation to get bottles or motivation for bottling day)

Latest posts

Back