Stuck Fermentation???

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertsIPA

Reaction score
I am brewing a chocolate stout with an OG of 1054 and a tgt FG of 1013. Fermentation after almost a week is at 1020 - and giving me an ABV of 4.6%ish versus the 5.5%ish i was expecting/hoping for.

it's been warm in Cheshire this last week. Will that have had an adverse effect on the yeasty-beasties???

How can i restart the fermentation to take it down the remaining 7 points and achieve something near to my expected ABV. Both previous time I've brewed this recipe I have achieved 5.6% and 5.8% - so i know i am some distance off.

I am brewing a chocolate stout with an OG of 1054 and a tgt FG of 1013. Fermentation after almost a week is at 1020 - and giving me an ABV of 4.6%ish versus the 5.5%ish i was expecting/hoping for.

it's been warm in Cheshire this last week. Will that have had an adverse effect on the yeasty-beasties???

How can i restart the fermentation to take it down the remaining 7 points and achieve something near to my expected ABV. Both previous time I've brewed this recipe I have achieved 5.6% and 5.8% - so i know i am some distance off.

Yes, fermenting at high temps means that the yeast "switches off" rather early.

The last week in this part of the UK has been awful for fermenting beer. Much too warm. The best bet you have is to exercise some patience.

Leave it for at least 2 weeks before you even think about touching it.

As next week is relatively cool, forecast-wise, I suggest racking over to a clean fv, if you have one, adding 50-100g of sugar and then leaving at least another week before bottling.

3-4 weeks before bottling (now often termed "packaging") will be my advice, and just check the finishing SG before you do bottle.

Yes, fermenting at high temps means that the yeast "switches off" rather early.

The last week in this part of the UK has been awful for fermenting beer. Much too warm. The best bet you have is to exercise some patience.

Leave it for at least 2 weeks before you even think about touching it.

As next week is relatively cool, forecast-wise, I suggest racking over to a clean fv, if you have one, adding 50-100g of sugar and then leaving at least another week before bottling.

3-4 weeks before bottling (now often termed "packaging") will be my advice, and just check the finishing SG before you do bottle.

Slid - thanks. Yes I have a spare FV which I'll sterilise tomorrow. You're suggesting no additional yeast - just the 50-100g sugar? I take it therefore that there will be sufficient yeast left in suspension - they just need a touch of additional sugar to get them spurred back into life?

Slid - thanks. Yes I have a spare FV which I'll sterilise tomorrow. You're suggesting no additional yeast - just the 50-100g sugar? I take it therefore that there will be sufficient yeast left in suspension - they just need a touch of additional sugar to get them spurred back into life?

Yes, there is always plenty of yeast. The sugar may do two things - push out unwanted oxygen from your beer and give the yeast an easy re-start to get the gravity down a bit.

Yes, there is always plenty of yeast. The sugar may do two things - push out unwanted oxygen from your beer and give the yeast an easy re-start to get the gravity down a bit.

Nothing happening.... I'm slightly against time as I go away with work for a fortnight shortly.

Lots of advice out there about making up cultures with DME (which I don't have) and stirring in. As I've only got dried yeast (Fermentis Safale SO4) should I make up another sachet, and stir gently as I repitch?

Nothing happening.... I'm slightly against time as I go away with work for a fortnight shortly.

Lots of advice out there about making up cultures with DME (which I don't have) and stirring in. As I've only got dried yeast (Fermentis Safale SO4) should I make up another sachet, and stir gently as I repitch?
You have nothing to lose by trying a new sachet of yeast, except the cost of the yeast, so you may as well go for it.
Although you have no DME you could first hydrate the new yeast in 100ml of cooled boiled water and leave for an hour or so in a warm place, then stir in about half a tsp sugar and again leave for an hour or so, which will get it going before you pitch it, and that might be more successful than just sprinkling.

Thanks Terrym. I always rehydrate the yeast first. Read about 'sprinkling and hoping' and never seemed the best idea!

Used a couple of well known smack packs for sponge of my early brews and was never convinced they took off that well - compared to the satisfying hubbling and bubbling you get when rehydrating dried yeast!

I'll press on with your suggestion after work tomorrow. Cheers.

Back