Cwtch by Tiny Rebel Brewery

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think it does any harm and I still think it adds flavour and aroma regardless of general opinion,people rave about this kit so it must do something right 👍

I find kits brewed a little shorter and the qualify is quite hard to differentiate between AG and LME

I find kits brewed a little shorter and the qualify is quite hard to differentiate between AG and LME

I brewed my Cwtch to 18L and it's a stunner. Had a BBQ yesterday and the guests couldn't believe that it was homebrew. Most of them have tasted a variety of my brews: kit, extract and AG - they reckon Cwtch is one of the best.

Just returned from my local that has a barrel of Cwtch on handpump this weekend. Very nice, but I think the kit brew I have here is slightly better - that's saying something. They've really nailed it with this kit.

The owner of my local brew shop has made this and said it's excellent. Easy and good results. He reckons that leaving the hops in extracts a whole level of extra flavour which we normally miss. Maybe it's time for me to do an experiment using the same method, though I'd use an all grain base malt. You can't go wrong with those hops, either.

I see the OP also uses Leyland Homebrew. Joe, the owner, must have shares in Cwtch!

That might be a good thing, mine was really cloudy due to the hop pellets suspended in the beer and I couldn't clear it in this warm weather as there was nowhere to crash cool.

Im in the same boat Mate.Prehaps during the week you could bung a few in the Fridge every Other day so in a way this does the same thing?

I literally have no time to bottle this,might be another week! Does anyone know if over a fortnight at 3 degrees is a bad thing?

I guess at that temp its keeping it preserved so it should be ok. better at that temp than warm.:grin:

Started this kit this morning. The instructions say dry hop after 4 days. Is this what everyone else has done? Seems very early in the fermentation.

Nope, dry hop as you normally would, in my case 10 days. Leave for 5 then bottle. I've done an AG clone of this beer and that was spot on like the original (if not a bit more to my taste so maybe nicer??)
This is literally my favourite beer so can't do no wrong

Nice one. 9-10 days in as usual then.:thumb:
Any chance of posting your Ag recipe if you still have it?

3450g MO
225g pale crystal
225g crystal
60g Roasted Barley
500g Carared

15g columbus 60min
28g citra 5min
30g columbus 5min
28g citra dry hop for 3 days
30g columbus dry hop for 3 days

20g columbus and 10g citra mixed in boiled water and added as hop tea at dry hopping stage

safale US-05 yeast

Ok so now bottled and conditioned,2 weeks is plenty as Dutto would say 😉
First bottle,Wow, very nice, dark and hoppy
Second bottle, oh no, I can taste the kit twang, now I have been making kits for three years and hadn't really noticed it until I did my first BIAB and actually tasted fresh grains!
Another member recently posted about adding boiling water to dilute these kits may cause the "twang" and I am starting to think he may be right, be very interested to hear the outcome of his side by side experiment,anyway,good as far as kits go but I cannot wait to dig my Burco out the shed👍

Had another of these last night,the "twang" is definitely there,I can taste the hops but lingering at the back is that diluted wort taste.
It's putting me off kits, Ive ruined myself by going BIAB 😳

I brewed this back on 13/1/17
Volume 20L
O.G 1046
Pitched at 21C
Fermentation fridge set at 20C
Added 30g citrus and 30g Columbus at the start as instructed
20/1/17 chucked in he 30g citra and 30g Columbus
28/1/17 FG 1012 smells fruity
3/2/17 transferred to secondary, cold crashed at 1C
18/2/17 bottled, batched primed with 130g, got 39 x 500ml
3/3/17 tasting notes- almost perfectly clear, deep red brown in colour. Small head that lasts, good lacing around the glass, citrus/orange hop flavours blending well with the maltiness. Great carbonation and bitterness isn't too strong. Absolute cracker! Will do again.

29/9/17 found 5 bottles in the shed last night that were MIA. Wow wow wow. It has become crystal clear, and had the same deep red brown colour, the carbonation is probably a bit too much, I'm guessing the yeast has really gone to work the beer. The head was like a so thick and creamy. Hop flavours still present but had matured and mellowed into the beer. Can't really describe how good it tasted, rounded would be a good way to describe the flavours. Highly recommend brewing this and losing a few bottles for 6 months.

Jake

Bottled my Cwtch today. Tied a muslin bag over the end of the siphon tube and very glad I did - couldn't believe the amount of hop debris - the bag was full!

I'm sure I can already smell the 'twang' but that may just be me becoming paranoid. Looks like mud at the moment, but hopefully a few weeks will improve things.

If I get the twang with this one, then I think I'm done with it.

Bottled my Cwtch today. Tied a muslin bag over the end of the siphon tube and very glad I did - couldn't believe the amount of hop debris - the bag was full!

I'm sure I can already smell the 'twang' but that may just be me becoming paranoid. Looks like mud at the moment, but hopefully a few weeks will improve things.

If I get the twang with this one, then I think I'm done with it.
Don’t give up mate,do you do BIAB?

Back