Coffee Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all

Has anyone tried brewing coffee grain stout before, the reason I ask is I am a fresh coffee nut lol, and I always throw away my grains which as I am a person who hates waste, I was wondering if it would be fun to try and make a stout with the grain ?

All suggestions welcome 😃😃😃

A cold press of fresh coffee beans added post fermentation works well for me. Never tried used coffee beans though. Should work but I imagine it might be a little bitter.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Yea I was thinking on the lines of putting it in the mash along with Tori Wheat to maybe take the bitterness out, but give a stable head.. I will try and see what happens, cheers for the reply will let you know 😉

I use fresh coffee from my machine to augment the Coopers Stouts I do. I use 3 - 4 measures of dark Italian roast and it is just detectable in the finished product which is what I want.
I know some folks use a coffee bean steep, but personally I can't see the point when you can use coffee grounds which will give up their flavour much more readily.
Only other comments would be any spent grounds don't have the same coffee flavour and you would have to use lots of them, and I would avoid instant at all costs since I fear it would introduce a bitter taste just like instant black vs. black coffee from beans

Thanks Terry

I may just save up a large ish batch of the used grain and then add fresh as a added percentage to give that nutty flavour and see what happens after that.

Cheers 😉

Thanks Terry

I may just save up a large ish batch of the used grain and then add fresh as a added percentage to give that nutty flavour and see what happens after that.

Cheers ������
Suggest you make sure that, after a period of storage, the old grounds are bug free when you get to use them by sanitising in some way. Although boiling may leach out unwanted flavours.

I would try a second, cold pressing of the grains after you've made the coffee, give it a taste first and then add it at kegging/bottling. I use one French press full in 80 litres and
The taste comes through quite well. In fact I had complaints that the coffee taste was too strong. It might work out nicely with pre-used grounds.
And as its cold pressed you don't get so much bitterness.
It might be best as far as hygiene is concerned as well.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I've made a vanilla coffee stout a couple of times before which goes down well. It won the forum stout competition. I added 500ml of coffee made in a cafetiere with 50g of ground coffee, gave it a really nice coffee flavour. Also added 2 cut up vanilla pods. Full recipe: http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=650245&postcount=8

Hmm I am intrigued now....that does sound really nice, was the vanilla not to over powering ?

I have just bought myself a nice little 10L PV today and was thinking of a batch to make with my left overs before I buy my summer stock, I have plenty of Caramalt left and about 2KG Maris so chuck in the coffee and a bit of treacle and maybe just maybe here's to filling my 10L PV yay....:cheers:

Hmm I am intrigued now....that does sound really nice, was the vanilla not to over powering ?

I have just bought myself a nice little 10L PV today and was thinking of a batch to make with my left overs before I buy my summer stock, I have plenty of Caramalt left and about 2KG Maris so chuck in the coffee and a bit of treacle and maybe just maybe here's to filling my 10L PV yay....:cheers:

IIRC the vanilla was very dominant for the first week or two but after that the other flavours come through and became far more rounded.

Sounds like a good plan! :thumb:

What's the Pacific Blonde tasting like then ?

I haven't updated my signature in a long time, but it came out well. I love AU and NZ hops, all fruit and smooth bitterness. I might have a few bottles left at my parents' where I used to brew.

If you're interested, the recipe:

3.5kg maris otter
500g carahell
100g flaked barley
100g wheat

25g Green bullet @60min
20g vic secret @5min
15g Green Bullet @5min
10g Rakau @5min
25g Vic Secret Dry hop
20g Green Bullet Dry hop
19g Rakau Dry hop

This is for 25L, came out at around 4%. Really pleasant session beer. It was very cloudy as well, probably from the wheat and flaked barley.

I haven't updated my signature in a long time, but it came out well. I love AU and NZ hops, all fruit and smooth bitterness. I might have a few bottles left at my parents' where I used to brew.

If you're interested, the recipe:

3.5kg maris otter
500g carahell
100g flaked barley
100g wheat

25g Green bullet @60min
20g vic secret @5min
15g Green Bullet @5min
10g Rakau @5min
25g Vic Secret Dry hop
20g Green Bullet Dry hop
19g Rakau Dry hop

This is for 25L, came out at around 4%. Really pleasant session beer. It was very cloudy as well, probably from the wheat and flaked barley.

Nice one, yes I may give that a go this summer looks just the right brew for a good summer BBQ session :thumb:

Nice one, yes I may give that a go this summer looks just the right brew for a good summer BBQ session :thumb:

It would be a really nice summer drink, it also went down well in winter too! If you do make it I'd be really interested to know how it comes out.

Hello m8,
Never tried coffee stout.
But the stouts I've made were really nutty with the grains I used..
Milk choc stout is my fav..followed by caramel and vanilla.
Just kegged a stout with lactose.
As you are experimenting with coffee be great to see the end result.
Bri

Back