Beer and global warming.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ahem, I do drive a diesel suv and I do care about the environment. Prior to my diesel SUV I had a people carrier. so my PC gave out 157gm/km co2 and was euro 5, my SUV is euro 6 and gives out 119gm/km. I specifically bought a PC with a DPF. at the time VW weren't fitting them as standard so I went elsewhere. Everytime I can make a lower impact I do.

I love the way this government are again discussing scrapping diesel cars of a certain age the biggest polluters on our roads are trucks and busses are they going to tell these companies they have to get rid of their older vehicles and get greener vehicles the answer is no us plebs are going to get the s****y end of the stick again.

Bloody hell it's a bit nippy for the end of June! Just been out for a thrash on mi mobike and my fingers are like Cumberland sausages! Must get proper bike gloves instead of using the missus' marigolds.

I love the way this government are again discussing scrapping diesel cars of a certain age the biggest polluters on our roads are trucks and busses are they going to tell these companies they have to get rid of their older vehicles and get greener vehicles the answer is no us plebs are going to get the s****y end of the stick again.

Aren't diesels more efficient and produce less CO2 than petrols? I think all the kerfuffle is about the nitrous oxides they put out. So they're effectively promoting cars ( petrol ) which produce more, not less CO2. Told you it was cobblers. I wouldn't be seen dead driving an electric car. And how do the green ****wits think electricity is produced anyway. Any luck and my expiration will coincide neatly with that of fossil fuels. I'm gonna have a piston and conrod on my gravestone.

You are right its the nitrogen dioxide (NO2) that they are saying is the problem as it irritates the lungs of people with breathing problems and as it says Diesels make several times more NO2 than petrol cars so as i said earlier a truck that does 8 to the gallon is producing the same as several cars yet no mention of truck and busses being taken off the road.

The Mayor of Paris Anne Hidalgo wants to ban diesel cars and the pollution they bring from the streets of the French capital. But not long ago, diesel engines were thought to be environmentally friendly. What could have gone wrong?
Opinion on diesel cars has swung widely over the years.
Diesel is a more efficient fuel than petrol, but in the past diesel engines were often noisy and dirty.
Then, with growing concerns over climate change, car manufacturers were urged to produce cleaner, quieter diesel cars to capitalise on their extra fuel efficiency.
The cars were fitted with a trap to catch the particles of smoke associated with the fuel. Several governments rewarded the manufacturing improvements by incentivising the purchase and use of diesel cars.
But the policy has backfired.
Going into reverse
First, there have been problems with the particle traps - some drivers have removed them because they sometimes don't work properly unless the car is driven hot.
Second, the diesels are still producing nitrogen dioxide (NO2), which irritates the lungs of people with breathing problems. Diesels make several times more NO2 than petrol cars.
Now, in order to meet European air pollution laws, politicians are being forced into an embarrassing U-turn, telling drivers that they've decided they don't much like diesels after all.
MPs in the UK have mooted a scrappage scheme for diesel cars, while the mayor of Paris has called for a ban.
Several European nations are currently in breach of EU clean air laws.
The EU’s NO2 limit was exceeded at 301 sites in 2012, including seven in London. The concentration on Marylebone Road was more than double the limit.
Districts in Athens, Berlin, Brussels, Madrid, Paris, and Rome are also exceeded the ceiling.

More here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-30381223

You are right its the nitrogen dioxide (NO2) that they are saying is the problem as it irritates the lungs of people with breathing problems and as it says Diesels make several times more NO2 than petrol cars so as i said earlier a truck that does 8 to the gallon is producing the same as several cars yet no mention of truck and busses being taken off the road.

I'd like to see a petrol-powered bus or 18-wheeler! Probably do about 1 mile per gallon.

A lad at work had a test drive in a one litre ford focus recently I said I bet it was as flat as a fart but he told me it wasn't bad and the MPG figures were surprisingly high, I guess they have found ways of getting more power from a small engine without pouring more juice in, I am sure someone here will explain.

I gave up on convincing people about climate change a long time ago. Now I just don't care. I'm 57,

Good. I've never cared because it is utter garbage. And I'm 52. And a father. The last thing my son needs to worry about is a dreamed-up theory, perpetrated to this day by those who are profitting from it.

The Green Lobby isn't all garbage and many of the pollutants we have (had) are there purely for commercial purposes.

My favourite was the "Lead in Petrol" crisis.

Oil companies discovered that by putting TML or TEL in petrol the engines wouldn't "knock" and therefore a lower grade (and cheaper to produce) petrol could be used and sold for higher prices.

Countries like Sweden immediately put in place a very low limit on the amount of TML/TEL that could be used in their petrol.

Result? A UK company imported millions of gallons of Swedish 91 Octane Petrol, added TML/TEL to meet the much higher UK standards and sold it as 98 or 100 Octane petrol at a huge profit. :whistle:

Subsequent tests showed that high levels of lead was being retained within the brains of children and significantly lowering their IQ (especially those living in the cities), and the UK government did nothing.

Another feature was that lead was being absorbed by plants and that anyone with an allotment alongside a main road was poisoning their kids with the vegetables that they grew; and the UK government did nothing.

Now read this Daily Mail article ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2054708/Leaded-petrol-phased-years.html

... that's a surprise eh; me quoting a Daily Mail article? :whistle:

Then look at the date and bear in mind that we knew about the problems of Lead in Petrol way back in the 1970's! :doh: :doh:

Er .... so you're now saying that putting the radiators on in June is "normal". :doh: :doh:

Unusual, but certainly not unprecedented. But the tree-huggers will hold up any notable event as evidence of 'climate change / global warming. Watch any, and I do mean any BBC report of 'extreme' weather and they'll squeeze climate change in somewhere, like the world never experienced such things beforehand. I remember the 4 feet of snow and a daytime max of - 8C in 2010 being attributable to global warming lol. Does the lack of a repeat performance since indicate the same?

Unusual, but certainly not unprecedented. But the tree-huggers will hold up any notable event as evidence of 'climate change / global warming. Watch any, and I do mean any BBC report of 'extreme' weather and they'll squeeze climate change in somewhere, like the world never experienced such things beforehand. I remember the 4 feet of snow and a daytime max of - 8C in 2010 being attributable to global warming lol. Does the lack of a repeat performance since indicate the same?

Melting ice sheets have affected ocean salinity and temperature zones, and therefore ocean currents such as the Gulf Stream, which gives the UK it's temperate climate. This was predicted as far back as the 80's. So in fact the erratic weather we have experienced over the past few years is evidence that their theory is at least in part correct.

Weather is meteorological conditions in a particular place at a particular time. Climate is the modal weather conditions in a particular region over a period of decades. So no, unusually hot summers are not evidence of global warming, nor are unusually cold winters evidence against it. By definition, they are unusual, and therefore can not form the modal value. But it was predicted right from the get-go that global warming would lead to erratic and extreme weather conditions in the short term, and that particular hypothesis certainly seems to be bearing up.

Melting ice sheets have affected ocean salinity and temperature zones, and therefore ocean currents such as the Gulf Stream, which gives the UK it's temperate climate. This was predicted as far back as the 80's. So in fact the erratic weather we have experienced over the past few years is evidence that their theory is at least in part correct.

Weather is meteorological conditions in a particular place at a particular time. Climate is the modal weather conditions in a particular region over a period of decades. So no, unusually hot summers are not evidence of global warming, nor are unusually cold winters evidence against it. By definition, they are unusual, and therefore can not form the modal value. But it was predicted right from the get-go that global warming would lead to erratic and extreme weather conditions in the short term, and that particular hypothesis certainly seems to be bearing up.

Climate and its 'offspring' the weather are in constant flux. Nothing has permanently changed. It's normal, unless you believe those who have a vested interest in perpetuating this junk and highlighting certain events as being evidence of such. These 'climate scientists' (lol) put me in mind of those toothpaste adverts where a dentist says using such and such will effectively put them out of work. Do turkeys vote for Xmas?

Climate and its 'offspring' the weather are in constant flux. Nothing has permanently changed. It's normal, unless you believe those who have a vested interest in perpetuating this junk and highlighting certain events as being evidence of such. These 'climate scientists' (lol) put me in mind of those toothpaste adverts where a dentist says using such and such will effectively put them out of work. Do turkeys vote for Xmas?

Climate is, by definition, not in constant flux. Weather, by definition, is.

I'm also not sure what benefit you think 97% of the scientific community derive from professing belief in man-made climate change?

Climate is, by definition, not in constant flux. Weather, by definition, is.

I'm also not sure what benefit you think 97% of the scientific community derive from professing belief in man-made climate change?

I'm not sure if you actually believe all that or if you're just trying it on. If it's the former I strongly suggest that you go and do some research. If it's the latter, you need to try much harder.

I'm not sure if you actually believe all that or if you're just trying it on. If it's the former I strongly suggest that you go and do some research. If it's the latter, you need to try much harder.

Believe all what? You've lost me.

Has anyone researched global dimming?

Haven't reasearched it, but the aircraft vapour trails reflected energy back into space as seen in their absence on the few days after the twin towers came down, temp's rose.

Latest posts

Back