Porridge oats

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love porridge oats!

Grain bill for the last beer I did (wheat session IPA) was as follows -

2kg wheat malt
2kg extra pale malt
450g porridge oats
300g carapils

Porridge oats add a really nice smooth and silky, thick mouthfeel. I just use the cheap ones from Aldi (75p for a kg)

Looks like oats have a place in beer in small quantities.
The toasting side/fry side sounds worth giving a go too. Must give the beer a nice burnt hint.
Dutto
Do the oats after they've been browned off go in the mash from the begining? So a full mash.

The toasting side/fry side sounds worth giving a go too. Must give the beer a nice burnt hint.
Dutto
Do the oats after they've been browned off go in the mash from the begining? So a full mash.

Never toasted oats - I just throw them in the mash. Always use rice/oat hulls though as it can make the mash very thick.

Radical Brewing suggests toasting the oats in an oven then adding to mash as normal. It's a recipe for an Oatmeal "Cookie" Stout as the toasted oats apparently carry that cookie taste through to the beer. It's on my growing list of things to try.

Dutto

I've always mixed the oats in with the rest of the grain for Mashing.

On the basis that there are so many variables available in brewing I try and keep certain elements as simple as I can; so I now try to use this regime for ALL of my Mashing.

MASHING

Strike Water = 2.6 litres per 1kg of grain.

Mash for ONE HOUR at:

o 55 to 66 degrees (Bitters, Lagers and Pale Ales so per kilo of grain the finished beer is High Alcohol & dry)

or

o 68 to 72 degrees (Milds and Stouts so per kilo of grain the finished beer is Low Alcohol & sweet)

DO NOT exceed 75 degrees.

Stir after 20 and 40 minutes.

Heat SPARGE water to 80 degrees.

Lauter until wort runs clear and then Sparge at one litre per minute.

Stop Sparge when runnings reach SG1.008 / SG1.012.

The above provides me with an element of consistency in what can be a multi-variable process. :thumb: :thumb:

I've always mixed the oats in with the rest of the grain for Mashing.

On the basis that there are so many variables available in brewing I try and keep certain elements as simple as I can; so I now try to use this regime for ALL of my Mashing.

MASHING

Strike Water = 2.6 litres per 1kg of grain.

Mash for ONE HOUR at:

o 55 to 66 degrees (Bitters, Lagers and Pale Ales so per kilo of grain the finished beer is High Alcohol & dry)

or

o 68 to 72 degrees (Milds and Stouts so per kilo of grain the finished beer is Low Alcohol & sweet)

DO NOT exceed 75 degrees.

Stir after 20 and 40 minutes.

Heat SPARGE water to 80 degrees.

Lauter until wort runs clear and then Sparge at one litre per minute.

Stop Sparge when runnings reach SG1.008 / SG1.012.

The above provides me with an element of consistency in what can be a multi-variable process. :thumb: :thumb:

That's interesting. I've read from the wheeler book ( brew own) not to disturb the bed of the mash, keeping it compact.
Which tbh is quite hard to do with dunk sparging.
Useful tips dutto

Latest posts

Back