AG #1 - New Flat Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StubbsPKS

Regular.
Reaction score
Code:
OVERVIEW			
Style: 	American Pale Ale		
Name: 	New Flat Ale		
Yeast:	US-05		
Fermentation Temp:	18 C		
Original Gravity:	1.045		
Total IBU's:	34.81		
Colour (EBC):	24.6		
End of Boil Efficiency	76%		
Mash Length (mins):	90		
Boil Length (mins):	60		
Notes:	A very popular and robust recipe. Amounts can be varied greatly whilst still getting a great beer.		

Volumes etc.			
Water Required (L):	34.21		
Mash Temp (C):	65 C		
End of Boil Volume (L):	26.84		
Volume into Fermenter (L):	23		
Final Yield (L):	21.3		
Total Grain Bill (g):	5176.2		

Grains	Weight (Percentage)		
Pale Ale Malt (Any type)	3980g (76.9%)		
Munich 1	797g (15.4%)		
CaraAmber	404g (7.8%)		

Hops	AA%	Weight	Minutes
Amarillo	8.9	25 grams	60
Amarillo	8.9	22 grams	20
Amarillo	8.9	18 grams	5
Amarillo     8.9   10 grams    0			

Adjuncts			Minutes
Adjunct: 	1 teaspoon yeast nutrient		10
Finings:	1/2 tablet of Irish Moss		10
Mineral:	None

Brewing this APA tomorrow for AG#1! Starting to get excited. Should have measured out all the grains, etc tonight, but the amounts I bought were near enough the recipe amounts that I'll just do it in the morning before I start.

I'm doing it with the Brew-in-a-bag (BIAB) method as I've not gotten my boiler, MT and HLT sorted yet.

Anyone see any glaring issues with that?

Edit: Added 10g Amarillo at flame out

I can't see any glaring issues, I don't know how BIAB efficiency compares but I'd be looking at a higher og with your grain bill, nothing to worry about though.
Also, assuming you have a full packet of amarillo why not use it all :twisted:
Try 25 at 60 then split the rest for additions at 15,10,5 and 0 minutes... it'll be gorgeous!

Looks interesting.
If you are only boiling for 60 mins I'd suggest it is a very vigerious boil. If your heater doesn't give such a strong rolling boil I'd lengthen the boil.
As for the rest; I've a bag of those hops and so might try this one.

Mash temp? :wha:

I assume if you are fermenting at 18deg it will take up to 10 days to ferments? So how will you keep the temp down?.

Hope you have a great day :thumb:

Sorry, just reread post and you are mashing at 65. That withe the us yeast should give a nice dryer brew. :thumb:

I may lengthen the boil time. The original recipe called for 90 minutes, but some of the guys who helped me tweak it for my equipment from a forum devoted specifically to BIAB told me I should be fine at 60. I may do a bit longer though bc my hob is a bit **** if I'm honest :P

It's mashing away just now. Having never used hops before, I must say that the smell of that amarillo is driving me WILD. It smells AMAZING in here!!

The mash is going and has a little over an hour left, so I thought I'd get some pics on the go while I wait :)

Saves me standing over the mash worrying if everything is going okay in there, LOL.

Here's the album if you'd rather see it that way.

Obligatory grain shot

All Amarillo hops weighed out along with yeast nut and irish moss

Doughing in for the first time ever!

I am having a blast so far and my flat smells AMAZING with the hops and the mash going. Oh man! :)

Here you go - I've found just the bottle to put your new brew in...

flat-bottle-main.jpg

if that was a 100g pack of amarillo, i would put the rest in dry after about 5 days of fermenting. :thumb:

It was a 100g pack. I've sealed up the pack as best I can and thrown it in the freezer until dry hopping time. I am going to give it a quick taste when I test the SG toward dry hopping time and then decide if I should just throw in the rest of the pack or what. I don't want to blow out my tastebuds on the first sip when it's finally ready, I want to be able to enjoy it :D

Looking forward to trying this when it's finished as it was already lovely from the sample jar :drink:

Thanks for the help guys, it actually isn't all that hard! I was shocked at how simple everything was once you get to it. I think the hardest part for me was convincing myself to just go for it (other than the cleanup :rofl:)!

Amarillo has to be my favourite hop at the moment. I made an Amarillo IPA recently which I've just started to drink and it's absolutely stunning. That aroma... I'd agree that dry hopping the rest is the way to go :)

This weekend I made a Citra IPA with Challenger for bittering and 100g of Citra for aroma. It'll be interesting to see how the Citra stacks up against the Amarillo...

broadfordbrewer said:
Nicely done and congrats on your first AG :clap:
You're right about the cleanup though :lol:

Mine wasn't too bad as I was using a bag to brew in.

Improvements still to be made:

Ball valve tap installed on stock pot
Strainer installed on stock pot
MAYBE a permanent thermometer mounted to it as well, but we'll see.

Better temperature control on fermenter (currently a water bath with a **** aquarium heater).

As for this brew, the airlock is going WILD. I guess I've only really used the yeast supplied with the kits, so I am just not used to this level of activity, but it certainly makes me happy. There's a slight hint of hops aroma in the air as well :-D

Latest posts

Back