Cooling of wort

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbowden

Regular.
Reaction score
I have a cooling coil that i put into my wort which has cold water running through it. Is it ok to swish round the coil(not getting air into the wort :) ) therfore speeding uo the process of cooling or is it best to let it sit there and wait for the temp to drop? Does it affect the cold break?

ta! :D

You'll find it will cool quicker if you move the coil around, or stir while cooling. Don't worry about getting air in it - you're going to aerate teh wort anyway when you transfer to the FV.

timbowden said:
wont i get hot side aeriation by putting air into a hot wort? :wha:

HSA only exists on the other side of the pond ;)

Seriously, just ignore it. There may well be something in it but no-one over here has really noticed. IF there were such a problem, breweries like Shepard Neme and Hook Norton would have serious problems.

timbowden said:
You are gently stirring the wort, not beating it to death with a cat of nine tails!!!!!!

HSA appears to be caused through the oxidation of lipids derived from malt, this process starts during teh mash and continues until the wort is cooled . . . The most critical time to avoid 'splashing' is during the mash, so while you want to stir the mash sufficiently to mix teh grist and liquor, try to avoid splashing the mash about.

Now certain malts (US 6 Row) have much higher levels of lipids that other malts (UK 2 row) and care must be taken during the malting process to reduce these down to a lower level . . .If this is not done then we end up with a wort rich in the precursors of trans-2-nonenal (the classic cardboard aroma of HSA), and with extended storage of the finished beer it makes it appearance. It also only makes an appearance in very pale beers as beer with any significant proportion of darker malts contain significant levels of anti oxidants preventing the formation of t2n.

The hype over HSA has died down significantly even in the US over the last few years, and I suspect that this is due to better growing of the barley producing lower lipid levels . . . and better malting processes to further reduce the lipid level of the malt.

In short (Never use one word where a dozen will do :lol:) in the UK using quality brewing grade malt HSA is very unlikely to be a problem

Aleman said:
timbowden said:
You are gently stirring the wort, not beating it to death with a cat of nine tails!!!!!!

HSA appears to be caused through the oxidation of lipids derived from malt, this process starts during teh mash and continues until the wort is cooled . . . The most critical time to avoid 'splashing' is during the mash, so while you want to stir the mash sufficiently to mix teh grist and liquor, try to avoid splashing the mash about.

Now certain malts (US 6 Row) have much higher levels of lipids that other malts (UK 2 row) and care must be taken during the malting process to reduce these down to a lower level . . .If this is not done then we end up with a wort rich in the precursors of trans-2-nonenal (the classic cardboard aroma of HSA), and with extended storage of the finished beer it makes it appearance. It also only makes an appearance in very pale beers as beer with any significant proportion of darker malts contain significant levels of anti oxidants preventing the formation of t2n.

The hype over HSA has died down significantly even in the US over the last few years, and I suspect that this is due to better growing of the barley producing lower lipid levels . . . and better malting processes to further reduce the lipid level of the malt.

In short (Never use one word where a dozen will do :lol:) in the UK using quality brewing grade malt HSA is very unlikely to be a problem

thanks aleman

Back