Boiler tap and hop screen, could I get away with...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thats what I had...worked fine. Still use the bazooka in my system now

I upgraded to all stainless, just put a 3 piece tap on, still the same

Thinking about it I guess that I might be daft and having to remove the tap to remove the bazooka screen

so I think it might be better to order some parts from [urlhttp://www.bes.co.uk/]BES[/url]

1 X 1/2" BSP 3 piece tap (hopefully only buying once might as well get the best!) 10397
10397.gif

1 X 1/2" BSP Hex Nipple 14408
14405.gif

2 X 1" Kevlar washer (inside diameter 21mm) 20177
11472.gif

Then ordering the screen, hose tail and straight coupler from THBS

pretty much what i use, tho i use the hex on the outside of the pot and seal inside with an elbow to point down.

If u go SS then hop onto ebay and get some M20 (20mm id) SS Washers,

u may need to file a wee bit out the centre to get em to slip upto the hex on the nipple, but an m21 washer would have gaps thru by the straight edge of the hex.

a 1/2" bsp locknut could also be helpful allowing you to fit and seal the nipple and then just screw on the valve..

Also in conjunction to ptfe tape a sheet of silicone baking sheet or a £shop set of flat bottomed silicone moulds for cutting your own soft diy washers, and the last resort seal solution feronox lsx silicone thread sealer, when cured is suitable for potable water.. and just a dab on the thread will help seal.

inside
10105315636_f6a6cf9494.jpg

outside
10105216754_a8a545724a.jpg

a temp fixing i used for chiller testing but shows the hex and washer and silicone diy washer in use.
9734420039_96969c8892.jpg

Also lining up things is a bit tricky with SS as unlike softer metals u cant just apply a bit of oomph and turn it that extra bit.. SO test screw and count the turns needed to lock the bits together, then wrap with ptfe to fit (use a load), and count to one less turn and line up, if you over turn, start again as a back twist will possibly allow a leak. (thats where the silicone thread sealer cam come up trumps..)

The bazooka screen has a taper thread so it might not be ideal. Look at my Buffalo instructions in my signature and do something similar.

Latest posts

Back