dried elderberries

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyhibbett

Landlord.
Reaction score
Mine have a distinctly 'farmyard' smell which gets through 2 layers of plastic. I recently made a wine using some black wine grapes, apple juice and dried elderberries, the latter intended to deepen the colour, which it certainly did. The wine was left for a month and is pretty good, but somewhat marred by the above mentioned flavour. I can't find any info about the use of dried elderberries in winemaking. I added a generous handful to the gallon and fermented them with pectolase for 3 days before straining them out. It seems this was too much.
Can anyone suggest a suitable quantity?

a generous handful will probably 3x in size when rehydrated...we used 1.5lbs fresh in a "port" style wine along with 2lb each Damsons and Blackberries. why not rehydrate them prior to brewing and weigh them that way?

Thanks. Comparing recipes, it seems 100 g of dried is the the equivalent of 600 g fresh, so I have been using too much, hence the over prominence of elderberry flavour anyway.
I cold rinsed some through a sieve into a pan. The water came out brown with a fair amount of fine debris, with oily stuff on the surface and tasted unpleasant, and the washed elderberries now smell pleasant and are no longer sticky.

Back