Is a Fast Ferment any good?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And you won't get airlock action no matter how you try as they ain't air tight,I even purchased and added another O ring on top of the flat one in the cap to no avail...all in my review of them
Going to call false on that. Ive brewed 2 beers, a wine, and a cider in mine all of which had no airlock issues

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Penn just because yours is fine doesn't mean his should be fine too. You have to remember they're made, or should say designed, I'm sure everything today is made in China, designed by an American company. And I'm sure everyone knows "American quality!"

When it comes to dry hopping in 2ndary, has anyone here tried to empty the yeast collection ball, put the hops in there, then reattach?

nice write up, my only concern would be the risk if any offered by the use of ptfe tape in the threads? may be worth stripping down and re-taping for each brew?

Thanks for reading. I don't think it would pose much of a threat. I try and make sure it's all thoroughly sanitised beforehand, and if beer does start to leak out slowly it will probably be alright in the long run, and not worth the hassle of covering all threads in PTFE every time.

Interestingly, I have my second brew in there now and am getting normal airlock activity. I didn't wrap the top in PTFE or do anything different.

I thought long and hard about buying a fast ferment but in the end I was put of because of lifting it in and out of the stand into my brew fridge, it just didn't seem that practical for use in a brew fridge, I did wonder if the wall bracket could be fitted inside my fridge but I wouldn't trust any fixings through the back of the fridge. In the end I saved a bit more cash and plumped for a Brewtech brew bucket, I think if you were to buy the fast ferment with the stand and carry strap the Brewtech fermenter works out somewhere near £35 more, but for that money you get a stainless steel fermenter that will probably out last my brewing life time

I thought long and hard about buying a fast ferment but in the end I was put of because of lifting it in and out of the stand into my brew fridge, it just didn't seem that practical for use in a brew fridge, I did wonder if the wall bracket could be fitted inside my fridge but I wouldn't trust any fixings through the back of the fridge. In the end I saved a bit more cash and plumped for a Brewtech brew bucket, I think if you were to buy the fast ferment with the stand and carry strap the Brewtech fermenter works out somewhere near �£35 more, but for that money you get a stainless steel fermenter that will probably out last my brewing life time

I think that's a good point, and I have read that people are put off from the FF because they have a brew fridge and it won't fit in. I don't have one yet, but when I move into my own home I'm gonna build something like this guy: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=109258. However one side will be open, I'll push it against the wall and will wall mount the FF. I'll also keep it big enough in case I want to add any more.

Back