Brew Fridge

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brilliant! A brewing fridge makes life so much easier.

I suggest that you fit a blow-off system as per the photograph just in case you ever have an extra vigorous brew.

Bubble Tube.jpg

Brilliant! A brewing fridge makes life so much easier.

I suggest that you fit a blow-off system as per the photograph just in case you ever have an extra vigorous brew.

I reckon you've got the same heater as I've got, Dutto. Have you tried any warmer fermentations with it? Reason I ask is I'm thinking of doing a Saison, and my recipe book calls for upping the fermentation to 28 deg!?

Brew fridge is my next project too. The missus got a large larder fridge for free off the local facebook sales and wants page. Where did you get the heater from, is it the one from Tool Station?

Brew fridge is my next project too. The missus got a large larder fridge for free off the local facebook sales and wants page. Where did you get the heater from, is it the one from Tool Station?

I got mine from Amazon. It came up at the same time I bought my inkbird, so I just popped it in the basket!

http://https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hylite-1ft-Eco-Tube-Heater/dp/B00ID7UF7A/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A6WJK3NVEZKFX

EDIT: The above heater doesn't come with a plug, which is quite handy as I fed the chord through the drain plug in the back of the fridge. However, it meant I had to wire the thing myself. I feel drained now..need a beer :whistle:

Hopefully picking up a fridge from the outlaws at the weekend, so it's a project for me next week. Already got the greenhouse heater and Inkbird.

I got mine from Amazon. It came up at the same time I bought my inkbird, so I just popped it in the basket!

http://https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hylite-1ft-Eco-Tube-Heater/dp/B00ID7UF7A/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A6WJK3NVEZKFX

EDIT: The above heater doesn't come with a plug, which is quite handy as I fed the chord through the drain plug in the back of the fridge. However, it meant I had to wire the thing myself. I feel drained now..need a beer :whistle:

Haha. When I have to wire a plug these days, I still find myself saying to myself "BR brown, bottom right, BL blue, bottom left". :oops:

I reckon you've got the same heater as I've got, Dutto. Have you tried any warmer fermentations with it? Reason I ask is I'm thinking of doing a Saison, and my recipe book calls for upping the fermentation to 28 deg!?

Not yet. I'm still enjoying the fact that I can set it at 19 degrees and leave it alone for ten days.

One thing I did notice is that when I limited the temperature on the heater with the built in thermostat the Inkbird managed to control the temperature a lot better with very little "overshoot".

If you go for a higher temperature (and before putting an FV in there) I suggest that you:

1. Start with the heater at just above "frost".

2. Keep raising the fridge temperature with the heater control thermostat until the required temperature is reached.

3. Put the Inkbird in control of the heater.

You may still need to slightly adjust the heater thermostat but it should minimise temperature "overshoots" on the Inkbird.

Hope this helps. :thumb:

PS There are 4 x 20mm holes drilled at the sides of the Stirling board to help with air circulation and a large cut out underneath the FV that is 50mm less than the diameter of the FV itself.

Not yet. I'm still enjoying the fact that I can set it at 19 degrees and leave it alone for ten days.

One thing I did notice is that when I limited the temperature on the heater with the built in thermostat the Inkbird managed to control the temperature a lot better with very little "overshoot".

If you go for a higher temperature (and before putting an FV in there) I suggest that you:

2. Keep raising the fridge temperature with the heater control thermostat until the required temperature is reached.

You may still need to slightly adjust the heater thermostat but it should minimise temperature "overshoots" on the Inkbird.

PS There are 4 x 20mm holes drilled at the sides of the Stirling board to help with air circulation and a large cut out underneath the FV that is 50mm less than the diameter of the FV itself.

Ahh, in that case you have a more sophisticated heater than I have. Mine doesn't have a thermostat.

My Inkbird 308S arrived today so I'll be building my brew fridge this weekend. I got the fridge for free from my parents when they got a new kitchen. :thumb: I'm going to pop to Toolstation in the morning and pick up one of these. http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p32265?table=no

I've just taken a load of off cuts of 2x2 to the tip that would have made a fermentor stand. Bugger!

I made a brew fridge a few weeks ago using an inkbird 308 and a tubular heater which unfortunately didn't work so I've had to resort to a belt heater for now. Made a wooden support for the fv out of some offcuts of timber. Had a youngs aipa fermenting away in it for the last 3 weeks. It's really tided my setup up and I can see it being invaluable for brewing and conditiong etc.

Glad i found this post of yours as i have just purchased this tube heater and was thinking of returning it because i thought the built in thermo stat would cause problems.

Did you have problems getting the power cable through the hole at the back? Looks like the cable for the temp probe goes round the door frame?

Last edited:
I drilled a hole in the bottom near the door on the basis that I had never seen a cooling coil in the bottom of a fridge near the door ... :whistle: :whistle:

... and luckily I still haven't! :thumb: :thumb:

Brew Fridge.jpg

I drilled a hole in the bottom near the door on the basis that I had never seen a cooling coil in the bottom of a fridge near the door ... :whistle: :whistle:

... and luckily I still haven't! :thumb: :thumb:

Did you remove the moulded plug off the heater?

Did you remove the moulded plug off the heater?

Cut it off, passed the cord through the hole in the fridge and then connected it to a longer length of flex with a different plug so that it reaches the Inkbird up on the work surface.

Nothing fancy for the connection.

As it sits underneath the worksurface at the side of the fridge, I just used three 5Amp connectors like these ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003XV5Q3E/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

... and wrapped them with insulating tape. :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back