Brew Fridge

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi friends,

For homebrew,we always need temperature control.

I known that many brewers are good at DIY, here, I recommend ITC-1000 220V thermostat http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IJ0F2OW

For those who have no Circuit knowledge, ITC-308 is the best choice http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B018K82UQU

ITC-308S 2 versions,1 standard sensor and 1 with 12"/30cm stainless steel sensor(you can put into your beer directly), these 2 units are updated ITC-308,sensors are removable. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01AWA2PQY
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01AWA2PTG

Now, we have ITC-310T temperature controller with timer function. You can set 6 periods of time during brewing. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019Q3K4EI

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all, before I delve into this, is there any problems with mildew growing in the fridge when held at 20c type temperatures? Reason I ask, I've had a fridge put aside in the garage for a few weeks, powered off and door shut. Thing was stinking inside when I opened it! Covered in black mildew. Is this because fridges are designed for about 5c and if so wondered if I will see this recurr in operation as a fermentation fridge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all, before I delve into this, is there any problems with mildew growing in the fridge when held at 20c type temperatures? Reason I ask, I've had a fridge put aside in the garage for a few weeks, powered off and door shut. Thing was stinking inside when I opened it! Covered in black mildew. Is this because fridges are designed for about 5c and if so wondered if I will see this recurr in operation as a fermentation fridge?

I've been using an old fridge for about 4 years and never experienced this. Though I do usually give it a quick clean inside with antibacterial spray between brews.

My brewing fridge has only been in operation for six weeks, cycled a few times between 20 degrees and 4 degrees, with no sign of mildew or mould.

However, to prevent mildew, mould and smells when fridges and/or freezers are not in use, I first wipe them down with a mild bleach solution, dry them with kitchen towelling and then leave the door slightly ajar.

Before use, a quick wipe down with a weak bleach solution is recommended to make sure that there are no stray nasties inside. :thumb:

Good to know thanks! I will do so with the bleach for sure plus, yes, defo keep the door ajar when not in use! Have u opened a bottle yet? Much of an improvement?

"Opened a bottle?" in six weeks? Er ....! :lol: :lol: :lol:

What I like most about the brewing fridge is the fact that I can stick the FV in there and just leave it for a fortnight without worrying about the temperature and then cold-crash the brew before bottling.

The biggest improvement is therefore to my "peas of mine" but the brews do clear and condition a lot quicker; and I was so happy with the taste of the first brew (a Fulstows AG Northfield IPA) that it is already finished! :whistle: :whistle:

Are there any disadvantages/ advantages to using a tall fridge or should i just use 2 fridges? If i were to get 2 are they safe to stand on each other. Have to say i like the idea of a tall one but seem harder to find and much more expensive. I wanna keep my leccy down so after something reasonably new.

Are there any disadvantages/ advantages to using a tall fridge or should i just use 2 fridges? If i were to get 2 are they safe to stand on each other. Have to say i like the idea of a tall one but seem harder to find and much more expensive. I wanna keep my leccy down so after something reasonably new.

Hi!
The advantage of two under-counter fridges is that you can have two brews at different stages of brewing. One fridge could be cold crashing while the other was fermenting. The disadvantage is cost - two heaters, two temperature controllers and two compressors working instead of one.
I wouldn't fancy putting one fridge on top of the other - a simple frame around the bottom fridge with an off-cut of work surface to stand the top fridge on would be sufficient.
I have a large larder fridge, simply because that was what was available. I rigged it up with internal wooden framing to hold two FVs and it works fine.

Hi!
The advantage of two under-counter fridges is that you can have two brews at different stages of brewing. One fridge could be cold crashing while the other was fermenting. The disadvantage is cost - two heaters, two temperature controllers and two compressors working instead of one.
I wouldn't fancy putting one fridge on top of the other - a simple frame around the bottom fridge with an off-cut of work surface to stand the top fridge on would be sufficient.
I have a large larder fridge, simply because that was what was available. I rigged it up with internal wooden framing to hold two FVs and it works fine.

Cheers i had totally forgotten about cold crashing. Maybe i should just start of with one fridge and see how i go. Maybe get an aquarium heater in water for some other brews. Ideally i would have a room full of them but that's just wishful thinking. :)

............ The disadvantage is cost - two heaters, two temperature controllers and two compressors working instead of one.

I would stay with a single temperature controller and use it solely for fermenting because:

o For cold crashing the in-built fridge temperature controller set at "Low" should be more than adequate.

o For carbonation the inbuilt thermostat on this type of heater should be okay.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LPHIMW0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Not that SWMBO would ever let me get another fridge! :doh: :doh:

Last edited by a moderator:
With regards to mildew, after I picked up my Fridge I gave it a going over with a steam gun. Although it was was very clean, when I removed the door shelves, there was quite a lot of muck and some mildew hidden away in the crevices! All nice and clean now, but I think I'll give it a check over every few months or so.

My Black IPA seems to be very comfortable fermenting away, and the Inkbird is keeping the temp pretty much spot on 18 degC.

Back