Tea Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday I had a sneak preview of the tea wine I made over Xmas. Crystal clear a week after finings. It tastes exactly like whiskey, but not as intense a flavour, fairly obviously. Is this normal? I can't recall the tea wine I made aeons ago tasting like that.

Yesterday I had a sneak preview of the tea wine I made over Xmas. Crystal clear a week after finings. It tastes exactly like whiskey, but not as intense a flavour, fairly obviously. Is this normal? I can't recall the tea wine I made aeons ago tasting like that.

Not entirely sure mate as my first one . What's your ABV % ?
A sneaky taste when racking didn't resemble whisky !
Have you distilled Rocket Fuel lol [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's about 13%. The whiskey flavour is very pronounced - not at all unpleasant but not what I expected! Maybe the passage of time will attenuate it somewhat. Wonder if the raisins might have contributed to it?

It's about 13%. The whiskey flavour is very pronounced - not at all unpleasant but not what I expected! Maybe the passage of time will attenuate it somewhat. Wonder if the raisins might have contributed to it?

In my limited experience and from some reading I'd expect it to mellow. It's just young over pronounced alcohol from a possible combination of different things !

I've racked this again tonight as some sediment on the bottom.
I think next time I'll just boil up the raisins rather put through blender.
Nice bodied wine though - I think when finally bottled and aged will be good - and cheap !'

I've racked this again tonight as some sediment on the bottom.
I think next time I'll just boil up the raisins rather put through blender.
Nice bodied wine though - I think when finally bottled and aged will be good - and cheap !'

Berry doesn't have any raisins or sultanas, other recipes have only 4oz 110g of sultanas in, so 500g of raisins was probably a little much for type of wine. It's perfectly drinkable without any vinosity, nice and light during the warmer months served cold.

My raisins were minced rather than blitzed. You can see the sediment in mine In post #36 above so I'm not sure that's true.

I think I'm getting over obsessed with the sediment after just looking at the DJ post racking for a 2nd time.

Colour looks good.

I think I've only done wow type wines before so not used to the additional challenges using actual fruit etc brings.

Taste is really good.

My raisins were minced rather than blitzed. You can see the sediment in mine In post #36 above so I'm not sure that's true.

How's yours looking Razor ? Another week on my DJ is starting to look much clearer now.

How's yours looking Razor ? Another week on my DJ is starting to look much clearer now.

I need to rack mine to secondary (tertiary?) to get it off the sediment. Hopefully do that tomorrow. Other than that it's still bubbling away nicely.

I put a demijohn of crystal-clear tea wine in the shed yesterday, mainly to stop the missus getting her mitts on it. I went in said shed about half an hour ago and the wine is incredibly opaque. Really cold last night and the wine must be close to 0C. What's going down? I've never seen that with any other type of waahn ( as the missus calls it ).

I put a demijohn of crystal-clear tea wine in the shed yesterday, mainly to stop the missus getting her mitts on it. I went in said shed about half an hour ago and the wine is incredibly opaque. Really cold last night and the wine must be close to 0C. What's going down? I've never seen that with any other type of waahn ( as the missus calls it ).
It's chill haze. Can be caused by potassium and other things. Wine producers stop this by storing wine at a constant lower temperature for a number of weeks.

It's chill haze. Can be caused by potassium and other things. Wine producers stop this by storing wine at a constant lower temperature for a number of weeks.

Well this is ridiculous! I put another bottle of that tea wine in the fridge last night. It went in there crystal clear but half an hour later I couldn't see thru' it. It's like flicking a light switch. The previous batch was fine and unaffected by any amount of chilling. This dodgy batch was made with Earl Grey tea. What is it in that which could cause this?? Apart from the horrendous aesthetics it is really rather nice.

Well this is ridiculous! I put another bottle of that tea wine in the fridge last night. It went in there crystal clear but half an hour later I couldn't see thru' it. It's like flicking a light switch. The previous batch was fine and unaffected by any amount of chilling. This dodgy batch was made with Earl Grey tea. What is it in that which could cause this?? Apart from the horrendous aesthetics it is really rather nice.

You've got some protein or more likely to much tannin, being tea wine. Without adding finings you could store the dj in your fridge for 3 or more weeks then rack. At cold temp's proteins and tannin clump to form the haze, not so when warm, and it will fall the bottom when stored upright at cold temp's over time. No harm in it though perfectly safe, just slightly visually off putting.

Latest posts

Back