Sacred Herbal Healing Beers, Stephen Harrod Buhner

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amidared

Reaction score
Totally enjoying this out of the ordinary work. One of the major reasons I enjoy brewing is because I have the freedom to adapt recipes to beers that I think that I will enjoy rather than attempt to clone beers which I was never happy with being served in pubs in the first place. After nearly twenty years in Germany I always regarded the Reinheitsgebot as a limitation and have always appreciated the Belgian approach of variety and experimentation more than the limited German views of brewing and this book is a trove of information for brewers looking for something a little bit different.

This book examines the history and uses of many common plants and herbs found just about anywhere and provides both ancient and modern recipe types for anyone who wishes to try them out. Although there is a chapter on yeast, when it comes to the recipes its assumed the reader has an idea of what kind of brew he or she is aiming for and you wont see any suggestions of this or that brand of Ale or lager yeast etc. it will normally just say 'yeast'

Lots of herbal remedy information and right now I'm reading through the uses of liquorice and considering a liquorice ale brew. This book covers a wide range including raw brewing and other methods as well as Psychotropic brews in a really non judgemental way, the book is after all aimed at adults who can think and brew for themselves. At 530+ pages the book is jam packed with information regarding the history, cultural and modern aspects of some very interesting ingredients and their uses.

This is not one of the huge font, lots of huge glossy photo types of book but one more suited to a reader interested in a deeper understanding of the art and history of brewing. I highly recommend this book, if you just want a recipe book then there are plenty out there, some with big glossy pictures too but if you enjoy making your own recipes or pimping generally boring brews then there is a wealth of information here for you. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back