Alpha acid deterioration over time + recipe help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickybee

Reaction score
Hey everybody,
Just a couple of hopefully easily answerable questions for you.
Firstly i have some Herkules hops sat in my freezer which are 15% alpha acid. However they are a 2014 harvest which i got on sale in jan 2017. They are vacuum packed and have been in my freezer since january. Just wondering if anybody knows of any kinda formula or ratio as to expected alpha acid loss over time?
And following on from this i have just bought some cascade hops and was wondering whether i could use my herkules hops for bittering then my cascade hops for flavour and aroma? Or is this a horrendous combination? Anybody with any experience of mixing the two or am i hurtling blind over the cliff face?

Many thanks for any input,
Mick

I get my hops from the Malt Miller, who gets them from Neale's. I emailed Neale's about hop deterioration and he replied that in their tests, the alpha acids barely change over time. So for bittering you should be ok. However, for flavour and aroma, I would go with fresher than 2014.

I also emailed James Morton re hop deterioration calculations, and he doesn't bother with them either.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back