All grain

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulzam

Reaction score
Hi everyone
Kinda new at this I want to make 25 litres of all grain and unsure of how much grains to use just needing a ruff idea as some if the videos and information it quite confusing
Thanks in advance
Paul

Its good you are looking at stepping up to all grain but it might give you some idea to look into what you are doing before going in with two feet. Don't worry there is plenty of help here.

The amount of grain you use depends on the recipe you are making, this will scale to the volume or wort you want to achieve..

So you want 25L, what equipment or method do you want to go down to make this?

What style of beer are you looking at making?

Hi and Welcome. As others have said it all depends but to give you a rough idea, I'm going to be making a 4% Bitter tommorow 23L brew length. I am using 4.150kg of grain

Hi everyone thanks for the speedy replys I have done a few starter kits and moved on to extracts and not had a bad one yet....so far I just bought the bulldog all in one system and can't wait to use it lol I am looking to make a lager preferably but understand the more difficulties involved was just looking for a starting point to make a 5% one as I realise I won't be perfect 1st time but I can go from there

Bull dog all in one is IIRC 30L.. I think to get 25L or wort you might have to fiddle about topping up or maxi brewing a bit.. which is do able just a bit more faff when starting out..

I would stick to a normal 23L ish volume..

Depending on your efficiency it will be around about 5kg of lager malt give or take some.

Do not wish to confuse you but with All grain there are less "one size fits all" answers because different equipment different methods and efficienies all make things a little more variable.. Once you have a pretty good grasp of what you need to do the best thing is to get stuck in and see whats what and where you come out.. You will actually learn a lot from this.

Hi everyone thanks for the speedy replys I have done a few starter kits and moved on to extracts and not had a bad one yet....so far I just bought the bulldog all in one system and can't wait to use it lol I am looking to make a lager preferably but understand the more difficulties involved was just looking for a starting point to make a 5% one as I realise I won't be perfect 1st time but I can go from there

I've got the Bulldog Brewer all-in-one, a cracking piece of kit. You could do a simple British ale, like the one that netted 2nd place in the HBF Bitter competition:

4.5kg crushed pale malt
0.25kg crushed crystal malt / cara-malt

First heat up 17L of water to 71C on the max power setting. Once there, turn the temp down to 65C and the power to 700W, stir in the malt, whack on the recirculation, and mash for an hour, stirring half way. Lift the basket and sparge with the sparge plate using another 16L of water at 75C. At this point I'd recommend taking the pump off and rinse it through to stop the sticky wort from drying inside it. Turn the BB to full power, and the temp to 105C, and once it gets to the boil add 60g EKG leaf and boil for an hour. Add half a protofloc tablet 10 minutes before the end, then add another 10g EKG leaf as you turn it off. When chilling, wait until you get under 75C and then you can put the recirculation back on. This speeds up the chilling and leaves you with crystal clear wort. Chill to 20C, transfer to an fv, aerate and pitch with an ale yeast, S-04 or Nottingham would do the job. Voila.

Thanks guys loads of help I will keep you posted on how it goes I will stick to the 23 liters just now see how it goes

Brilliant having a read through just now
great response from everyone it's nice to know there is help out there

Hi guys I was wondering if when you use the grains do you still use sugar or spray malt and if yes any ruff ideas much ?

Hi guys I was wondering if when you use the grains do you still use sugar or spray malt and if yes any ruff ideas much ?

It really depends on what you are brewing. For most beers you wouldn't need sugar or malt extract, but some Belgians or double IPAs benefit from sugar, and extract can be useful to up the ABV in barley wines or imperial stouts. For these, the extract/sugar is typically added towards the end of the boil.

Thanks I am attempting a lager but the last one never went to well tasted watery as I never used enough grains but I am keen to try again thank for the advice

Thanks I am attempting a lager but the last one never went to well tasted watery as I never used enough grains but I am keen to try again thank for the advice

There is a reasonable sort of approach using a one can kit and, say, 2.5kg of grain to do a "partial mash". The bittering will come from the kit and you only need a large (15L) pot and a BIAB bag (or a paint straining bag, in reality) to do it.

There is at least one thread on the "How To" section. I did this quite a few times (27 according to my records) before going AG. I did post up the methodology I worked up, but could not actually find it again last time I looked. :whistle:

Back