Stuck fermentation query

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davereal

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all, i've had a porter stuck on 1.030 for 4 days or more, after 10days in the f.v.. So gave a stir, nothing after 2 days. Pitched some new yeast, nothing for 2 more days. So upped the temp to 24c in the water bath yesterday and seems to have kicked it off.Nothing major , but lid was bulging. Had a peek and a small film like krausen, i hope ?So my query is, how long to leave the temp up at 24c or now it's started ,bring it back down to 20c ish and how long should i leave to ferment out , seeing it was half way through? I was thinking another week but seeing as i pitched some more yeast, would that be like starting again, so leave for 2 weeks to clear it's self up. Hope this makes sense. the o.g was 1.056 and was expecting to go down to 1.014/12. If any of you guys can put me in the right direction. Many thanks, Dave

I can't say how long to leave it at 24°c, but I believe temperature is more crucial at the beginning of fermentation, so you may be ok. Maybe worth trying bring it down a degree each day until you reach 20°c.

What is the temperature range of the yeast?

If it stalls again, I would rack to secondary FV, leaving as much yeast behind as possible. Then re-pitch. Perhaps with a different, but similar yeast strain. If a certain strain stalls, it can leave behind markers in the wort. If you re-pitch the same strain, these markers can inform the new yeast that the wort ain't worth the bother, and the second yeast might stall easily too.

Hope that makes sense.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Thanks for that chaps. Seems to have slowed/ stopped again, so given a gentle shake and going to leave for a few days. The original yeast was Lallerland ESB and i repitched with safale 04/05 the blue pack. If i do move to another F.V. would i syphon as i would when bottling into a bottling bucket, leaving the trub behind, then give a gentle stir and repitch a rehydrated yeast? i have 1 pack of notty left.I may just take the hit and bottle and have a weak porter. Had a taste when i took the gravity and doesn't taste that bad, not too sweet. Then i'd have priming issues. Usually use 4g sugar per litre. i wonder whether not to prime at all and just leave longer or reduce sugar to 2g. Any advice welcome and i'll keep you posted as how it gets on.

You are right on how to re-pitch. Just remember not to splash or otherwise aerate the wort too much.

I'd be wary of bottling at 1.030 if your OG was 1.056. Cant help but think it'll be sweet.

Whenever you do decide to bottle, just prime as normal.

I think you'r right. Got nothing to lose by transferring . If that doesn't work then bottle. With the priming ,i was worried about bottle bombs, as i thought there would still be sugars fermenting in the bottle as such a high F.G. or be over carbed. Going to leave for a few more days before i do anything. Never know, it may have dropped to 1.010.Thanks again, i'll keep you posted.

You are right on how to re-pitch. Just remember not to splash or otherwise aerate the wort too much.

I'd be wary of bottling at 1.030 if your OG was 1.056. Cant help but think it'll be sweet.

Whenever you do decide to bottle, just prime as normal.

I wouldn't bottle anything above 1.020 unless you know what the FG is based on attenuation of the yeast you are using and the fermentable sugars etc.

You WILL get bombs otherwise.

Yes , that's what i thought. So was considering bunging in a p.b. and leave to naturally carb up over a few month. Seem's something's happening, no krausen but the lid is bulging and a hiss if i press hard on the lid. So going to leave a week and may go down the transfer root. I don't know if mashing too high may have something to do with it?I do biab and usually when i add the grains at 73c , after a stir, drops down to 67c straight away. this one stayed at 70c for 10 minutes then another 10 to drop to 67c. Didn't consider i was only doing 22 litre brew, where as i usually do 35 ish split into to f.v's. . So must have been a grain to water ratio issue. Thanks, Dave

If you have ever used very hot water to clean or sanitise your hydrometer its ALWAYS worth checking it reads almost 1.000 in tap water.

If like i did once you use too hot water to clean, it can soften and loosen the glue that holds the paper grade tube in place and next time the hydrometer gets a jolt, shove or sock, the tube can slip position resulting in dodgy readings..

Cheers Fil. That did cross my mind along with a myriad of other conspiracy theories.So did just that a few days ago. No such luck though, the hydro's spot on. Always worth a check as i had a dodgy wilko one that was way out and using in tandem with another one , not knowing which was which , resulted in a lot of head scratching

Well it didn't get lower than 1.020. Wasn't looking too healthy. A thin film on top and small bubbles breaking out, so i transferred to another f.v. for 3 days. Still 1.020. Same again, a sort of slick on top. Smelt a bit vinegary but tasted alright. Thought i'd keg and be damned. Never used a secondary before, when i syphoned to the keg there was still some trub a the bottom, is that normal?Also now in the keg, i've loosened the cap a few times and massive build up of gas and seems the beer has a inch creamy head on it. Having not kegged anything for ages, i can't remember if this is normal. Or could it still be fermenting? if so, does any one know the possible out come or more likely infected, maybe wild yeast? Thanks, Dave

Well it didn't get lower than 1.020. Wasn't looking too healthy. A thin film on top and small bubbles breaking out, so i transferred to another f.v. for 3 days. Still 1.020. Same again, a sort of slick on top. Smelt a bit vinegary but tasted alright. Thought i'd keg and be damned. Never used a secondary before, when i syphoned to the keg there was still some trub a the bottom, is that normal?Also now in the keg, i've loosened the cap a few times and massive build up of gas and seems the beer has a inch creamy head on it. Having not kegged anything for ages, i can't remember if this is normal. Or could it still be fermenting? if so, does any one know the possible out come or more likely infected, maybe wild yeast? Thanks, Dave

It is quite normal to get some trub in secondary.

As far as this brews, I would try and it get it drunk as it does not sound like it is going to improve. In fact, it does sound infected, so when it stops being fun to drink, stop drinking it and sanitise everything in sight as thoroughly as you possibly can.

......... Smelt a bit vinegary but tasted alright. ..........

Hmmmm! That is a hard one to recover from!

I've had a variety of smells come off my beer at the various stages (from "old socks" to the mystic "Turkish wrestler's jock-strap") but I regard the smell of vinegar as the worst of all.

Also, you seem to be doing things that I would never dream of as per ...

"Also now in the keg, i've loosened the cap a few times
and massive build up of gas and seems the beer has a inch
creamy head on it."

Why on earth would you do that? The purpose of kegging a beer is to carbonate it and to build pressure.

Sorry, but I have to say ...

"If all else fails read the Manual."​

... and leave it at that!

Latest posts

Back