Wretch over troubled waters

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godsdog

Landlord.
Reaction score
The cover of the classic for the victims of the towering inferno last week is truly god awful.another case of a load of Z list and over the hill fading pop stars jumping on the tragedy bandwagon again for the oxygen of publicity,the wailing and outstretched arms by some of them in false emotion and pleading is bucket reaching,why don't they just dig in their own pockets and donate some of their wads of cash? As you can tell I'm no fan of this phenomenon started by Geldolph,Simon Cowel said upon hearing the final cut that it gave him the chills, you're right mate nightmare chills.I'll get me tin hat on now

I agree but on the flip side if it raises a lot of money for the families it has got to be a good thing, i think most of us know the majority are doing it for the attention.

I agree but on the flip side if it raises a lot of money for the families it has got to be a good thing, i think most of us know the majority are doing it for the attention.
I cant for the life of me see the need to rush out yet another charity single to raise money for the victims,this isn't like the original charity concert for Bangladesh by George Harrison and later Geldolphs Ethiopia,they were both to address the horrifying famine of people where only money to buy and ship food to them was ever going to relieve the situation,whereas any disaster in these Isles, a cash rich country is usually dealt with quite quickly by the govt of the day as was with the towering inferno.The govt has moved pretty quickly to give money,support and fresh housing to the victims,more money isn't going to help either the dead or the survivors,what they need most of all is counselling to deal with their nightmarish experiences and the bottom line is the insurance companys will deal with most of the monetary compensations somewhere down the line.I was glad to hear Simon Cowell had donated a 100G of his own personal wealth towards the cause and maybe in todays internet driven world he would have been better advised to be the figurehead of a crowd funding exercise if he felt the need to raise more cash without foistering another load of wailers and warblers across the airwaves on the wireless and other media:thumb:

I was glad to hear Simon Cowell had donated a 100G of his own personal wealth towards the cause

If that was a secret donation fair enough but i assume it wasn't so he is no better than the singers!

If that was a secret donation fair enough but i assume it wasn't so he is no better than the singers!

Hardly secret chippy,its in most national newspapers and I agree with you if its the case it needn't be made public.lots of top stars apparently give freely if their cash but like to Keep it quiet

That's like the rest of us giving 10p. ..I suppose it all counts but in such a tragedy at home the government should stump up...after all its the people's money.

.lots of top stars apparently give freely if their cash but like to Keep it quiet

That is what i meant he could have donated it on the quiet but i bet he made a song and dance about it so it would hit the news.

Must be a different time zone in the caribbean, but i think Bonno's missed a trick. Talking about vacant properties?

I feel truly sorry for the victims of the tower fire but I have to ask, if my house were to burn down would i get a government pay out and single ?

I feel truly sorry for the victims of the tower fire but I have to ask, if my house were to burn down would i get a government pay out and single ?

If your house was a council house that had recently been renovated and that renovation caused the fire to spread through your house in minutes killing your entire family i imagine something would be done to help you.

If your house was a council house that had recently been renovated and that renovation caused the fire to spread through your house in minutes killing your entire family i imagine something would be done to help you.

Exactly, its not the same analgy as a single house burning down. As for insurance who knows if many had insurance and in any case with more info coming out it looks like corners were cut during the renovation so there are going to be a lot of legal cases to settle before to determine exactly who's insurance is going to cough up.

As for the single, its not my cup of tea but if it raises money its a good thing.

The house I have just sold had external cladding put on last year (ex local authority) the guy installing it said the council had used the cheap option, it was like polystyrene (grey) nothing like kingspan

These charity records are alright in their cause and all that, but why are they always so dreadful? When I heard this on the wireless (look that one up,kids) the other day, I thought it had cooked a capacitor or summat.

I've just finished an argument with SWMBO over this record. (At least I think it's "finished" but knowing my good lady it may be thrown up during another argument in twenty years time; if we live that long!)

Anyway, I listened to it on TV and said "That's ****!"

She replied "It's for charity."

I said "Being for charity makes no difference. It's still ****."

The subsequent discussion degenerated into how Simon had given money, me wishing he had left it at that and given more, her saying I was not being nice, me agreeing and finally her walking out of the room to watch a different TV.

Today we are speaking so I think the argument is over ... :thumb:

... but I haven't changed my opinion of the song. It's still ****! :doh:

Back