Oxygen pick up bottling warm/cold beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan125

BIAB brewer
Reaction score
Last few brews I've kegged/bottled whilst the beer was still very cold after crashing in the fridge.

I've done this in part because I was thinking there'd be less O2 pick up if the beer was cold when transfered, but wasn't until I mentioned this to a fellow forumite that I started to question if I've got this all wrong.

Will I be getting more O2 picked up in the beer because cold liquids absorb gases more easily??

Yes, gasses are more soluble in colder liquids. But i would not worry too much about oxygen pickup. I read an article recently on brulosohphy where they triangle tested oxygenation at the hot and cold side. There was no distinguishable difference with the control group.

Last few brews I've kegged/bottled whilst the beer was still very cold after crashing in the fridge.

I've done this in part because I was thinking there'd be less O2 pick up if the beer was cold when transfered, but wasn't until I mentioned this to a fellow forumite that I started to question if I've got this all wrong.

Will I be getting more O2 picked up in the beer because cold liquids absorb gases more easily??

Hi Dan. - yes but....

More co2 is absorbed into the 🍺 at cooler temps hence the advice to chill potential gushing bottled beer well chilled to stop the co2 'boiling' out of the 🍺 and foaming everywhere. The point here is that at this stage the 🍺 isn't saturated with co2 as it has formed a blanket in the fv to protect the beer. When finished beer goes from cold to warm gases even co2 escapes more readily . So just reverse that for your answer. Colder liquids do absorb more gas as they chill the gas down. If you chill a gas enough it becomes a liquid. I purge my BB with co2 so only have a bit of exposure to oxygen. I wouldn't chill before packaging.

Yes, gasses are more soluble in colder liquids. But i would not worry too much about oxygen pickup. I read an article recently on brulosohphy where they triangle tested oxygenation at the hot and cold side. There was no distinguishable difference with the control group.
This did contain two main flaws though.

1) They did not age the beer, and oxidisation is known to be detrimental to shelf life.

2) The beer brewed had very low hopping rate and IIRC no aroma or dry hop additions. Again, oxygen is known to have a detrimental effect here.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

Thanks all
I've been trying to package as cold as possible in my bid to improve clarity & after listening to Charlie Bamforth explain that some of the wotzits (technical term) that precipitate out when cold crashing will return into solution as the beer warms up.
Think I've been getting confused with oxidation which I know is slowed at low temp - but it looks like I might be introducing more O2 to cause probs later on.
I do purge my cornies so its just the 6 odd bottles I fill from each batch that would be affected.
I'll console myself with the fact that I've cut out racking to a 2ndry, so have also cut out an opportunity for O2 to get in there.
:cheers:

This did contain two main flaws though.

1) They did not age the beer, and oxidisation is known to be detrimental to shelf life.

2) The beer brewed had very low hopping rate and IIRC no aroma or dry hop additions. Again, oxygen is known to have a detrimental effect here.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

#1 is an interesting call, here. The Brulosophy experiments are generally conducted only a few weeks after pitching. having looked into the outcomes on their "channel" or "site" or whatever, very little seems to make much actual difference to the outcome.

e.g. Sparge at 75C or use a bit out the kettle and some out the tap average 70C, last bit drops to 60C - that sort of stuff.

It's not that I want to discredit these findings, in fact, probably the opposite. Beer is very resilient, especially once the alcohol is present and dominant in the brew. That is why it became popular in the first place.

It really does seem to be those first 3/4 days that make the difference. Day 1 is cleanliness and sanitation. Days 2-4 are temp control. Thereafter is less critical and comes down to leaving the yeast alone to do the rest of its stuff. Then, sadly, most beers seem to me to be at their best at around 3 months, which is a long time, unless you have 3 months worth of beer.

Back