Electric pump switch, help!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett74

Regular.
Reaction score
Hey electricaly savy brewers out there, I am looking at a waterpump like this
Do you think it would be alright to run a CIP ball or a 12 jet bottle washer ?
The pressures seem fine but I am not sure if the flow restrictions suit the pump...
It does not come with a switch to turn it on and off, can someone point me in the right direction to a switch I could use to turn it on and off with ? Preferably on the web so I can order it via mail....thanks in advance for any help here...

Its centrifugal so flow restricting should be fine, the switch on the plug socket should be fine or if you need another ant switch suitable for use on mains will work or get one of those remote controllers for the mains switch.

As above.

It is a centrifugal pump and it can be run against a closed outlet for a short amount of time.

With regard to pressure, a centrifugal pump requires a flow of liquid through the pump in order to build up pressure on the outlet so limiting the flow may very well limit the pressure.

I'm not sure what a "CIP ball" is but it would be an ideal pump for bottle washing. :thumb:

PS

Working on a refinery back in the early 70's and due to the unusual configuration of a Blender, I once left a large Virgin Diesel centrifugal pump running against a closed valve for about two hours!

When I noticed, I stopped the pump and ran outside to take a look at the pump. The paint had turned from a "grass green" to a "mucky brown" and the heat haze coming off it could be seen from well over 20 yards.

I went away and came back with a plastic bucket intending to run a bit of cool Virgin Diesel through the pump to bring it back to a normal temperature.

I put the bucket under a vent line and opened the valve.

All went well until the bucket melted, the bottom fell out and I was left with a black handle, a ring of yellow and a heap of what looked like strings of cheese!

I decided to leave the pump alone, hope no-one noticed and let it cool down naturally.

Amazingly, none of the Refinery Supervisors or Managers noticed the discoloured pump and fortunately it worked fine when it was put back into service.

Happy Days! :whistle:

Thanks for the help guys, I will give a shot and let you all know how it turns out in case someone else wants to build a simular system.
A CIP ball is a "clean in place" ball, like this.
The idea is to pump hot PBW through the system to clean bottles and the CIP ball will clean the inside of my 64l Chronicle.

Back