Worst beer you've made

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mikkeller Green Gild clone, it was bloody awful, mostly because I used malted oats instead of flaked, missed target og by miles and under pitched. I've got the ingredients to make it again, it'll be better this time...I hope!

It was a Lager kit, likely Geordie as they were sold cheap by Morrisons, but not the kits fault, I had read about Lager and how it had to be brewed at a low temperature, did two kits, one as instructions which to be fair was not too bad, and other using a Lager yeast and low temperature not controlled just in garage so around 12 degs, undrinkable only brew I have poured down the drain.

Hind sight is easy, with a kit one uses tap water, and to stop infection it is important produce alcohol quickly to stop infection, I have never tried a lager since, not a keen lager lover to start with.

The reverse happened with a Coopers Ginger beer kit, for what ever reason the yeast did not work, so lovely ginger taste, and really sweet, no alcohol but taste was great.

not including batches which went off, my worst must have been this stout I fermented with wine yeast I bought because it was discounted. It had a weird metallic taste and gave me diarrhoea.

Not knowing special B is a powerful tasting malt, I think I used up to 20% in the first beer I used it in. Almost undrinkable.

Just now. Bitter hopped with challenger and ekg. Tasted great after primary. Really pleased with it Just about to bottle after one week in secondary and it smells like vinegar. So - down the drain. I thought i sanitised everything but clearly not well enough I am now reconsidering the value of a secondary ferm.

I gave up secondary fermentation for that very reason, had a series of infections.

Just seemed to be adding another stage of risk to your brew, now I just leave it in the primary longer and move to a cooler room when it's finished for a few days.

I've never bothered with Secondary. I've never had a beer that hasn't cleared.

Latest posts

Back