Bourgogne des Flandres

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junglist69

Reaction score
I had this beer whilst out in Bruges a couple of years back, really couldn't get enough of it. Was in a pub called Delaney's, been there a few times. Lovely Irish pub, very friendly, great atmosphere. Great food. Anyways, does anyone know of a clone recipe or a recipe of something similar? Any help appreciated. Cheers guys.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
7d4621842343cf08519c9f5fa29b91a5.jpg

Not easy, because it is a blend of lambic and normal beer. I think it contains 10% lambic of three years old. Visited the brewery two years ago, after they installed a new brewery for it in Bruges. Had some talk with the son of the owner, in his white rubber boots, cleaning up the brewery.

Ah, might be quite tough then. May well just have to end up buying rather then brewing.

Cheers guys. Have you tried the Flemish old bruin recipe sadfield?

I may well have to give it a go. I'll post results if I do.

Could you not just make the base beer and buy some lambic to blend yourself rather than pitching the lactobacillus?
If you like BDF next time your out there look for ichegems grand cru. It puts that style of beer into another level.

I like to emphasize that Bourgogne des Flandres is absolutely NOT a Flemish Old Bruin. It is a unique blend created by using a part real lambic, and part top-fermented brown ale, while Flemish Oud Bruin is top-fermented brown ale with a secondary fermentation of lactobacillus.

Agree to a point, although linguistically Oud Bruin is a broad description referring to age and colour. There is a blurring of lines, with Ichtegem Grande Cru, labelled as Oud Bruin, is a blend of sour aged beer and young ale, and Omer Vander Ghinste also calls itself Oud Bruin, yet is a blend of lambic and Brown Beer.

flesglas.jpg

Stylistically an Oud Bruin is the closest beer that most homebrewers can comfortably achieve though, unless you wish to do follow a very complex mash process and fermentation, or obtaining young lambic (which is probably near impossible).

Well, for brewers across the Channel it would be somewhat difficult to obtain. Apparently we can buy it here in Belgium, but we do have to be prepared to drive around. One could also try to make a long-term project of it, but I suppose that would not be possible for someone living in a large city.

As others have said, that beer would be extremely difficult to replicate, even if you had the recipe and method directly from the brewery. The fact that it's a blended beer makes it all the more difficult. I would go with Sadfield's suggestion and brew a tried and tested oud bruin recipe, but even then it's not an easy style to get right.

There's a good looking recipe in Brewing Classic Styles which is on my to-do list after my gueuze is finished.

Cheers for all the replies and info guys. I'm gonna go down the route of what sadfield suggested. Gonna get on the ingredients ordering today. Thanks again.

So as far as blending an old and young beer go..
I've a Flemish red on the go which may be ready when I return from my winter travels in march. Could this be blended with a young beer to create something good? would I need to pasteurize the sour? is it even worth the risk if the red is a success?
I'm trying to negotiate with the misses some space in the spare room to get a couple more carboys on the go with soured beer.

I do get the impression that the young beer is mashed rather low, so that after fermentation there is not very much fermentable matter present any more. Bourgogne des Flandres has a thin body. So possibly it could work without pasteurizing the sour, since it would not have much to ferment.

Back