Classic Convict Aussie Lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chappo

Reaction score
G'day Guys,
Just to happened to come across this great forum via my home forum in Australia (www.aussiehomebrewers.com). I thought I might share a little bit of Aussie flavour with you guys to break the ice as it were. I will be brewing this on Sunday. I couldn't help myself with the "convict" bit so please don't take too much offence.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 41.00 L
Boil Size: 51.36 L
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 6.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 21.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.00 kg Pilsner (3.9 EBC) Grain 89.89 %
40.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [9.00 %] (60 min) Hops 21.5 IBU
35.00 gm Pride of Ringwood (Flowers) [9.00 %] (0 mHops -
0.90 kg Cane Sugar (0.0 EBC) Sugar 10.11 %
2 Pkgs SafLager West European Lager (DCL Yeast #SYeast-Lager

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 8.00 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Full Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 20.86 L of water at 77.0 C 70.0 C
10 min Mash Out Add 8.35 L of water at 91.5 C 75.6 C

Cheers and Beers

Chappo

I most certainly will for those interested. My AG (all grain) set up is bare bones 3 tier system but does the trick quite nicely. I would think with your summer coming on a nice lager might help and perhaps a few swapped recipes as our winter down 'ere is coming on would be fun?

Pity i am missing out on this brew day Chappo. Looks like a good recipe interesting that you went for the lager side of things. :cheers: Great name BTW :cool:

FWIW I reckon some czech saaz late or dry could be a nice addition too. I will be making a very similar one over winter but will go with the czech pilsener yeast....

Cheers Brad

Yeah I was contemplating doing a bit of BSaaz dry? The passionfruit might not be good so maybe some clusters or fuggles?

Mate the czech saaz is nothin like the Bsaaz. Czech Saaz is beeter in pilsener type beers such as pilsner Urquel as the aroma hop where the Bsaaz is tops in APA's well at least I think so anyway.

Cheers Brad

In about 4 hours time. It's only 3am here :lol: Can't sleep ATM
I will be posting some pictures of the brew day up here on the forum. Here in Brisbane we have 3 or 4 of us that try to meet once a month for a Brew day. It's my turnso hopefully I can put some faces to the nicks for you all.

There has been some debate on the use of rice vs sucrose for an Aussie Lager. Traditionally the megabrewers here in Oz have used sucrose so I guess for authenic Aussie Lager the sucrose has to stay. However I have had a beer with rice and it was to die for. One of Ross's.

Latest posts

Back