Chlorine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kronos

Reaction score
I always fill my Grainfather and water heater with the required about of water for my mash and sparge the night before. So the water will have had a good 12 hours out of the tap before it is used.

My question is do I still need to treat the water with a powder or tablet to remove the chlorine and how can I test the water for chlorine in the first place.

Hi!
It's not the chlorine that you need to worry about - the boil drives that out.
Chloramines, however, are not and therefore need to be treated - I use half a Campden tablet in a 23 litre batch.

Can we test the water for Chloramines.

Possibly but I've never come across a forum post where someone does. People just chuck some campden tablet into the water - job done. Even if you haven't got signficant levels of chloramines in your water to have an effect, campden tabs are so cheap, you may as well anyway

Possibly but I've never come across a forum post where someone does. People just chuck some campden tablet into the water - job done. Even if you haven't got signficant levels of chloramines in your water to have an effect, campden tabs are so cheap, you may as well anyway
I do have some but never used them as I thought they were just for chlorine. I shall push the boat out and drop one in next time.:lol:

How big are these tablets? I've never used them, but can get hold of sodium metabisulphite powder. Trouble is I wouldn't know how much to put in a brew. A pinch, a teaspoon?

That's my way of thinking, too. I got my last ones from the local HBS, made by Hambleton Bard and there's none of this two-spoons nonsense - they crush readily between thumb and finger.

That's my way of thinking, too. I got my last ones from the local HBS, made by Hambleton Bard and there's none of this two-spoons nonsense - they crush readily between thumb and finger.

I got mine from wilko,a quid for loads. There rock hard. Like little bullets.

I occasionally forget to add some, sometimes, and I cant tell any difference in the finished beer. Which leads me to think that the chloromines in my water aren't at sufficient level to have an effect. I still put campden in my water though (when I remember)

I always grind it up between two spoons and sprinkle it in

Genius, thanks for the top tip. Don’t know why I didn’t think of that to crush them [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes, you can test for chlorine and chloramines. Get a Total Chlorine test kit from your aquarium shop. That test recognizes chloramines while a Free Chlorine test kit can only recognize chlorine. So get the Total Chlorine test.

Definitely remove these chlorine compounds from your water prior to brewing, since they will instantly react with organic compounds in wort and create chlorophenols. Campden tablets (metabisulfite) are a good treatment option.

Latest posts

Back