5L Keg Problems

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 16195

Reaction score
I have been using 5L Easy kegs for a while now and anever had any issue with them.

However I have found the last 2 brews I have done (Coopers Australian Pale Ale and On The Rocks Mixed Berry Cider) have both tasted really metallic - to the point they were undrinkable.

I don't think it's the actual home-brew, because I bottled half at the same time as kegging and the bottles taste fine. In fact the Coopers tastes fantastic, if I'm honest!

Has anyone else had 'metallic taste' problems with kegs?

So I should chuck them then?

Could the damage have been caused by using bottle brushes to clean them?

So I should chuck them then?

Could the damage have been caused by using bottle brushes to clean them?

Possibly, especially the wire handles and the wire bit at the end that holds the bristles in place. Both of them can scratch the lining away.

Should you dump them? Personally, I would get rid of any that showed signs of internal rust (including round the bung area) because they will contaminate the next brew.

Yeah it could well be the brushes, although they are meant to be specifically for kegs :(

I have plenty of empty bottles stored away, so I canlive without the kegs.

I had a few steel mini kegs show signs of rust after only a few brews from brand new, i had even used string to remove bungs to avoid damaging the vulnerable film coating in the bunghole.. arrgghh!! swings n roundabouts, fingers crossed the next few kegs will be 'marathon runners' and last a better distance..

I'm phasing out my 5 litre MK's as and when they become damaged, and replacing them with these ...

http://www.brewstore.co.uk/10-litre-economy-barrel

I have two of them so far and they have worked well. Taken to France containing 20 litres of beer and returned containing 20 litres of Merlot wine. Perfect! :thumb:

I bottle nearly all my brews but I have two barrels that size and use them in preference to the big barrel I was given.

Both my little barrels are secondhand and cost so little that I can only suppose people thing bigger is best.

With two you can experiment split a batch adding different hop teas to each, different priming sugars and so on, you can even force carbonate if your willing to take time and do it at low pressure.

atb aamcle

Latest posts

Back