Brewferm Triple

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had this in the bottle for 3 weeks now. I was initially a little worried about priming as the instructions seem to suggest 7g/l but that is less than others here are using. I thought I would sample a bottle to see how it has changed (I had about 1/2 bottle left over which did not taste nice at all).

I am pleasantly surprised by this. It smells lovely, just like I would expect for a tripel. Even at this early stage it is rather drinkable. The intention was to wait at least another 3-4 weeks before sampling again but I am not sure I can manage that :drink:

Good job I have another one of these ready to brew...

Just had a Triple which is 10 months old, and its superb. Well worth the wait and I'm glad I had a spell of brewing a number of Brewferm kits one after another. Can't believe I have so many left for the festive season. 👍👍👍👍 I am convinced the Brewferm kits do age well.

The Brewferm kits are good, in fact they are VERY GOOD, but, and its a big but, you need to let them mature for at least 6 months, believe me, Ive done a few.

Need some help with this one - only my second brew and having trouble understanding the instructions -it's been in the FV for 8 days now - all seems fine - I was planning to rack to a second FV after about 10 days and put in the garage for a couple of weeks - however the instructions suggests a second fermentation for one to two weeks at 20 to 23 degrees - I thought the temperature had to be cool to allow the yeast to settle out - confused !

The 20-23 degrees will allow some hot flavours to develop (banana, cloves) commonly found in Belgian ales.

Cold crashing may help if you want a super clear lager, but for a darker Belgian ale I wouldn't bother.

When transferring to the SV, and also with bottling, avoid splashing as much as you can (to avoid oxidation), and make sure your kit is really clean and sanitised.

Most Belgian brews benefit from months of conditioning in the bottle (not what you want to hear when you're only on your second brew), but when you crack open a bottle after a month, 2 months, even 3, and think it ain't great, just know that this is expected. You're looking for at least 6 months conditioning for the flavour to fully develop.

OK Thanks for the advice - my second FV has no airlock - will I need to fit one or can I just leave the lid loose ? After the 2 weeks can I batch prime or do I need to prime the bottles i.e. will batch priming cause any sediment to be disturbed? Thanks again

Ideally it should have an airlock, but there will be little (if any) fermentation going on by the time it is in your secondary FV. If you don't have an airlock on it, keep the lid on tight. A loose lid will allow oxygen in and increase the chance of infection. If pressure builds, you could crack the lid open a tiny bit to allow gas to escape, but I'd be surprised if you needed to do that.

Priming - if you opt for batch priming, you would need to decant your wort from your secondary FV into another bucket (ideally with a tap fitted on it) with the priming solution already in it. This will allow you to leave the sediment in the secondary FV. Mix the priming solution and wort well (no splashing) then bottle. A bottling wand is a great help here.

TBH, for your second ever brew, I would bottle prime. Wilkos or your local brew shop will have priming sugar drops, which are super easy to use. Failing that, normal caster sugar would do. Probably a teaspoon per bottle.

Bottling is probably the least enjoyable part of home-brewing, and batch priming is going to add a fair few extra steps. Worth noting that batch priming isn't better or worse than bottle priming, it just gives you more control over the level or carbonation.

Thanks again - will transfer to second FV tomorrow - this FV as I've said has no airlock but a tap - I may transfer into it temporarily , clean out the original and put the wort back into the original FV with the airlock and then after the 2 weeks into the FV with the tap to make bottling easier - I'll just need to be careful I don't splash too much - do I take the final gravity just before bottling to work out strength ?

Strictly speaking you should take a few readings before bottling to confirm fermentation has stopped. If it has indeed stopped fermenting then the readings will be the same.

If you have the gravity of the wort before you pitched your yeast (starting gravity) then you will use this and your final gravity (bottling day) to calculate strength.

Your plan with which bucket to use should see you right. Again, remember anything that touches your wort should be clean and sanitised.

I recently found a few bottles of this that were over a year old and they tasted great!

I also found a few bottles of Geordie Export, also over a year old, which when I made it I pitched onto the yeast cake of my first all grain brew. It was lager yeast, Saflager-S23. Probably the best kit beer I've made.

Mine is stuck at 1.020 after 2 weeks....v clear....tastes nice....but I'm not bottling at that figure.

Suggestions?

Three, mate:

Leave it
Leave it
Measure it.

I ended up having to open all 12x 500ml of last year's Xmas Ale into a small 15L FV and rebottle the bloody lot, fighting my way through more foam than a car wash.

It ain't going anywhere at that strength, so let it ferment down in its own time. If it is annoying you, get some demijohns and store it under glass for a few months.

Hope this helps, mate!

Thanks! I'm just going to stick it in a cupboard and forget about it for a bit. Currently it is prominently placed, and near a calendar....so I know it's coming to 3 weeks and I've tested twice with no movement. Hiding it, and sticking on another brew, will take my mind off it.

Cheers, pal! :thumb:

Three, mate:

Leave it
Leave it
Measure it.

I ended up having to open all 12x 500ml of last year's Xmas Ale into a small 15L FV and rebottle the bloody lot, fighting my way through more foam than a car wash.

It ain't going anywhere at that strength, so let it ferment down in its own time. If it is annoying you, get some demijohns and store it under glass for a few months.

Hope this helps, mate!

Put it somewhere warm. 1 wk. Nothing.

2 wks - bubbles and scum.

Tonight - nice and clean 1.012, so I bottled it.

Kept a jar of trub in the fridge. :thumb:

Put it somewhere warm. 1 wk. Nothing.

2 wks - bubbles and scum.

Tonight - nice and clean 1.012, so I bottled it.

Kept a jar of trub in the fridge. :thumb:

1.012 should be a good place to bottle a big beer.

Keeping some yeast is also good. I can't understand why more HB's don't do this simple procedure.

Just to awaken this thread - drank my hydrometer sample today. This is already an absolutely glorious beer. Took me right back to Ghent. Must NOT mess this one up!

Used light spraymalt instead of sugar. It's stuck at 1020 but will hopefully stretch its legs a little now I've racked to secondary. High hopes.

Latest posts

Back