How to remove bottle labels the easy way.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm currently removing plastic labels from Katy cider bottles. I have to use my nail to lift a corner then holding it with a cloth pull it off. Then I have to scour off the glue with a metal scouring pad.

I used to use WD40 but now use the alcohol hand wipes like wonder wipes. Still requires elbow grease on certain glues though. Obviously good old soapy water is the first port of call.

Had a few different beers tonight so had chance to experiment, there's obviously lots of label and glue combinations but the best outcome is when you can soften the glue enough but without softening the label so much that it disintegrates.

Black Sheep has a thick paper label and this was after only a few minutes in warm water, the glue turned to jelly and the label just eased away. If only they were all like this...

20200723_214701.jpg

Up to now the worst I've found are from St Austell brewery on Proper Job and Tribute..plastic label stuck on with glue. Hot water will not shift these..or remove the glue..peeled them off leaving a sticky patch that only solvent would clear...I'm used to resins,glues and solvents as I use them by the ton in work and even I thought these were the work of the devil...recent empties just got a good scalding out and then sterilised on bottle day..

regards

Clint

dammit..and that's one of my fav beers too. which I had actually planned to "empty" many bottles in order to re use on my HB!

Best way to remove label, (btw I am a chef) is fill the bottle with red hot water. Heating the glass will cause the glue to turn liquid again then remove and wipe. I can do 40 bottles before the water turns to cold to work properly.

S
Best way to remove label, (btw I am a chef) is fill the bottle with red hot water. Heating the glass will cause the glue to turn liquid again then remove and wipe. I can do 40 bottles before the water turns to cold to work properly.

Sounds like a top tip. I will try that i think.
I just put the bottles in water to soak. Scrape with a knife and wire wool.

Its a bitch this one for sure.

Its a shame the manufactures dont make labels to be able to be removed easier.

Recycling is good but what we are doing re-using is better.

We are saving the planet in our own boozy way!

buddsy

I'm going to try Chippy's recommended method in the very first post, using Oxyclean as described in the video.
Got to have a rant: Why can't American websites just get to the point instead of all the preamble? The worst is recipes; you've got to read about the author's family history, the weather, how Granny used to give him/her a taste of this when they were kids and then..................
The effin' recipe measures stuff in cups without saying how big a cup to use!
Rant, moan, gripe. :eek:

In my experience beer bottle labels that are paper based are easily removed by soaking in water until they peel off themselves or by using a scourer of some sort. The big PITA’s are those made from plastic such as Proper Job labels, they peel off easily by hand but leave behind a film of adhesive which doesn’t respond to a soak in hot water and a brief scouring. The only thing that seems to work is some sort of solvent and a good seeing to with a stainless steel pan scourer followed by a hot water wash to deal with the last remaining globs of glue. Shame really as it’s a great beer and nice 500ml bottle :beer1:

I've yet to find a sticker glue that won't dissolve in IPA. No, not that IPA, I'm talking about Isopropyl Alcohol. Sold in many overpriced forms like camera lens cleaner but much cheaper if you just buy it by name.

In my experience beer bottle labels that are paper based are easily removed by soaking in water until they peel off themselves or by using a scourer of some sort. The big PITA’s are those made from plastic such as Proper Job labels, they peel off easily by hand but leave behind a film of adhesive which doesn’t respond to a soak in hot water and a brief scouring. The only thing that seems to work is some sort of solvent and a good seeing to with a stainless steel pan scourer followed by a hot water wash to deal with the last remaining globs of glue. Shame really as it’s a great beer and nice 500ml bottle :beer1:
I am determined to crack the proper job glue. Especially as I have just bought 8 bottles from Aldi 😁😁
Wish me luck

So, update on the superglue that StAustell use on Proper Job.
I think it is Cornish Pixie sweat and Unicorn grease 😁
Full overnight soak in sodium percarbonate, slight movement using a green scotchbrite pad
Magic Eraser rubber, nothing at all.
99.9% acetone nope
25grams per litre caustic soda (sodium hydroxide 99%pure) soak for 1 hour, we have movement with green scourer at last.
For doing a large amount it will be costly making up enough solution, and always wear gloves preferably long arm gauntlet style, and eye protection.
Next batch, I am trying a heating method.
More to follow
Cheers Jon

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back