Advice on mini mash to replace kit fermentables

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jotley73

Reaction score
Hi all I'm looking for some advice about using a mini mash to replace sugar/LME/DME in kits in particular how much grain would I need to mash to replace a kilo like for like. Apologies if this is gibberish but I'm trying to branch out a bit from plain kits. What is the minimum pot size and particularly how to do it. Cheers all

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thanks Marty looking at that would I be right in saying a mash of 2kg in 6 litres of water would roughly give me the equivalent of 1kg of malt extract or am I well off?

Thanks Marty looking at that would I be right in saying a mash of 2kg in 6 litres of water would roughly give me the equivalent of 1kg of malt extract or am I well off?

1.6 kg of pale malt will give you about the same as 1kg dry malt extract. 1.2 kg grain is about the same as 1kg liquid malt extract. Mashing in 6L is good, but also remember to do a sparge. Just dunking the grain bag into 4L of 70C water and mixing it thoroughly before draining would work.

1.6 kg of pale malt will give you about the same as 1kg dry malt extract. 1.2 kg grain is about the same as 1kg liquid malt extract. Mashing in 6L is good, but also remember to do a sparge. Just dunking the grain bag into 4L of 70C water and mixing it thoroughly before draining would work.

Good call:thumb:
I find dunk sparging is really working well for me.I give the dunk around 10-15 mins at 72c or as near as i can hold the temp.:thumb:

Thanks guys going to have to try this

Just add,as per previous post byIanM and myself,give the grains an occasional stir whilst dunking and give the bag a damn good squeeze when straining:thumb:

Yeah, squeeze the hell out of it before the dunk sparge and after. That should really help extracting all the sugars.

1.6 kg of pale malt will give you about the same as 1kg dry malt extract. 1.2 kg grain is about the same as 1kg liquid malt extract.
I believe that's the wrong way round.
I use 1 kg pale malt ~ 0.75 kg LME ~ 0.65 kg DME
The LME contains some water which means it's less concentrated than DME on a w/w basis.

I believe that's the wrong way round.
I use 1 kg pale malt ~ 0.75 kg LME ~ 0.65 kg DME
The LME contains some water which means it's less concentrated than DME on a w/w basis.

I said you need less grain for the equivalent of 1kg LME than for 1kg DME.

Latest posts

Back