Replacing liquid malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrL73

Reaction score
Hello lovely people...I hope you can help.

The following recipe (Serious Eats Red Ale) calls for 6lb of light liquid malt. I like the sound of this ale but would rather use a grain instead of extract. Any suggestions what I should use (or probably more accurately, how much of it) instead?

Cheers! :cheers:

grab you favorite brewing s/w and its recipe editor should be able to answer that for you, fwiw i use brewmate, beersmith is the all singing n dancing option very comprehensive, less intuitive.. lots of phone based apps too if your thumbs are under 40 ;)

plug in your recipe and hit the button to predict the outcomes, scribble down the OG, then edit the recipe pull the LME and substitute say 4.5kg or 5kg of malt perhaps 5%-10 crystal and 3-5% wheat? or to your taste anyway, hit the button again and see if your projected OG is higher or lower than what you noted for the LME brew. and adjust the grain bill accordingly .. etc....

2 or 3 stabs should get you to your target..

See? I knew you people were lovely! Cheers chaps, I might give this a go this weekend.

Well, an update. The Red ale mentioned in the OP has turned out flipping lovely. Only after a week of carbonation, I can't imagine it is going to get any better. It is beautifully clear, lovely colour, nice fluffy head and tastes really good. by far my best brew to date. Which considering it is only my 3rd AG brew isn't saying much, but it is really good.

Back