Quick Lager method

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry I was replying to this and I got distracted and closed my browser

Yes its going good

the purpose of me using this method was to make the fermentation process and temp control easier and more convinient

Swapping ice bottles for 3 4 weeks not ideal, this made the process much simpler .

THen crashing which I managed to do like you know with some gelatine (something I have yet to use until now)

Been bottled two weeks and at room temp are pretty clear. Am going to fridge them and put the rest in teh garage, whether the cold weather or fridge will aid it but I hope it will crispen up..

I will try one at the weekend but thats because I am shizzle with patience..

The pseudo beers came out pretty good but I do feel they beenfitted from time in the fridge to crispen

Having thought about it, I'm going to have a go at this tomorrow eve. I'll make a 5L test batch of pesudo pilsner. It'll be pseudo in every sense - I'll put the recipe in my brewday thread later/tomorrow so you can see what I mean.

I'll ferment it at 15C with CML kolsch yeast for one week, then ramp it up to ambient temp (about 18C) by letting it 'free rise' for another week. I'll then package it in 1L growlers. I'll then condition it for at least two weeks before putting a growler at at time (dont think MrsMQ would be happy if I filled the fridge up with beer) in my domestic fridge for 1 week to lager before tucking in

My pseudo Oktoberfest with CML yeast, I found to have bit too much fruity sweetness which was still there after 2 months. So I put a number of bottles in the fridge. After 3 weeks the flavour changed a lot, it has dried out and tastes more like lager now. Mine was fermented at 14c.

My pseudo Oktoberfest with CML yeast, I found to have bit too much fruity sweetness which was still there after 2 months. So I put a number of bottles in the fridge. After 3 weeks the flavour changed a lot, it has dried out and tastes more like lager now. Mine was fermented at 14c.

Having thought about it a bit more I'm going to do a munich helles (recipes from HBT database) and use notty fermented cold. As I only have one packet of CML kolsch yeast and I want to do a 23L brew rather than a 10L

Hi!
I've just started a Muntons Gold Continental Lager with Mangrove Jack's M54 and it's bubbling away nicely at 19°C.
The kit has been sitting on the shelf for a while but I decided to make a brew for my son. The plan is to keep the bottles in the brew shed until February (if he can keep his paws off it).

Having thought about it a bit more I'm going to do a munich helles (recipes from HBT database) and use notty fermented cold. As I only have one packet of CML kolsch yeast and I want to do a 23L brew rather than a 10L

It would be interesting to taste the results with a packet of each.

It would be interesting to taste the results with a packet of each.

Thats a great idea, I might just do that. I'll just go an check to see if my brewbag can fit a 27L FV and a 10L FV in it (my other 10L FV has bitter in it)

Edit: I plan to pitch on tuesday, so If I bottle the bitter tuesday day time that'll free up the 10L FV so I can pitch on tues eve. Fantiastic idea Sais :thumb:

Hey @Covrich how's it looking/tasting? I'm planning a Helles in Jan and am very interested in how yours turns out.

It is okay

Its lagering now in the fridge I have tried a few one last week and one this weekend.. Its improved in carbonation and finish but does need some time to really lager and cripsen up I feel. I am going to try a few over the xmas break in incriments but I want to really leave it to see if its worth it.

I have done some pseudo lagers which were really good so I am hoping this is better

It is okay

Its lagering now in the fridge I have tried a few one last week and one this weekend.. Its improved in carbonation and finish but does need some time to really lager and cripsen up I feel. I am going to try a few over the xmas break in incriments but I want to really leave it to see if its worth it.

I have done some pseudo lagers which were really good so I am hoping this is better

How are you getting on with your lager?

I came across this paper on. 'The influence of conditioning on Lager Beer Quality' If I'm reading it right it seems to suggest that malt quality and wort production and fermentation are far more important than (cold storage of) lagering a Lager beer

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/j.2050-0416.1975.tb03785.x/pdf

We've all heard of the way lager beer was stored in caves over the winter but I've never really read (or thought about) why, other than simply to lager it as a process, in and of itself. But a bit in the introduction I found interesting was that the whole reason for lagering was not to try to improve its quality but to meet sales demand in the summer (once again we see money making's influence on beer) when beers of consistant quality were difficult to produce because of a lack of mechanical refrigeration.
Again we've all heard of 'the brewing season' when brewers wouldnt brew during summer. Even today some HBer's only brew in the winter and even here on the forum I am aware of some forumites who ony brew in winter (but that may because they have other hobbies during the summer).

So I'm wondering if what the paper is proposing is true, is, now we have mechanical refridgeration, Lagering for extended periods is more a romantic notion than anything else

This it all chimes with brulosophers quick lager method. Does it mean you dont have to bother lagering a beer? Im not so sure. But what it may mean is, that if like us with our brew bags, you can cold ferment during the winter and concentrate on getting the fermentation right. So if you dont have the means to lager, like me, you dont have to worry about it so much or do something like batch lager your bottles in your domestic fridge for a week before drinking them.

The
Nice, will be giving that link a read later, in preparation for brewing another Lager.

Interestingly they conditioned Lager in ice cellars in 1880s North Wales. However the malt available then was considerably different that of today. I was only reading a series of tweets earlier from a brewer using Chevallier malt, stating he's never managed to get his heritage IPA to drop clear.

http://www.beeretseq.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/IMG_20170921_0854059.jpg

"Inspiration is the impact of a fact on a well-prepared mind" Louis Pasteur

The lager conditioned in ice cellars in North Wales would be the original wrexham lager. It was a black lager...incidentally the brewery was founded by my sister's husbands family.

My bottled Lagers have been terrible this year. I am not really sure why but they are not clearing in the bottle. I have not had this problem before so guessing its down to the temps. They were crystal when bottled. I am glad to move to cornies.

My bottled Lagers have been terrible this year. I am not really sure why but they are not clearing in the bottle. I have not had this problem before so guessing its down to the temps. They were crystal when bottled. I am glad to move to cornies.
I had that problem, all mine tasted fine but looked like **** even after as long as three months at 0C. I posted so in a thread somewhere and was advised gelatin, haven't looked back, every beer clear as a bell ever since.

I had that problem, all mine tasted fine but looked like **** even after as long as three months at 0C. I posted so in a thread somewhere and was advised gelatin, haven't looked back, every beer clear as a bell ever since.
I use isinglass so they should be clear. Am drinking one from the airing cupboard and its fairly clear but can see particles floating in it. A few months should fix it but i have another that looks like a NEIPA. I have also noticed yeast clinging to the sides of the bottle and have never had that since i started brewing.

Back