Star San - other uses

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teadixon

Reaction score
I'm making some Mince Meat for Xmas - my method says to put it in sterilised jars. Do you think a good wash and a good spray of Star San will do it? If it's good enough for beer, it's good enough for mince, no?

Hi!
I'm not sure! StarSan is a sanitiser, but it doesn't sterilise.
A good way to sterilize glass containers, including beer bottles, is to put them on a baking tray in a cold oven, switch the oven on at 120°C, keep them at that temperature for about 20 minutes then switch off and leave the containers to cool totally.

I'm making some Mince Meat for Xmas - my method says to put it in sterilised jars. Do you think a good wash and a good spray of Star San will do it? If it's good enough for beer, it's good enough for mince, no?

id dishwasher the jars - rinse and oven them. starsan when used as instructed does not harm yeast. the jar lids don't go in the oven but are starsan'd.

so far only 1 bottle in about 1700 has given me a problem and even that may have been because of overpriming.

As many of our mid-week meals are based on cut-up chicken breasts, I use Star San to generally sanitise the utensils and chopping boards as well as HB usage.

Latest posts

Back