Using Lager Yeast for Ale fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sorade

Reaction score
Hi all,

I went to my local brewstore today, telling them I wanted to brew a Christmas ale. I told them I wanted a crisp finish to let the spices I will add to the beer come through.

I was recommended the following yeast : https://mangrovejacks.com/products/bavarian-lager-m76-yeast-10g

It is only when I got home that I realised that I had been sold lager yeast.

I googled a bit and it seems like some people have tried fermenting ale with lager yeast before.

I was wondering what advice people might have.

- Should I just go back tomorrow and get some ale yeast.

- Am I best to follow my normal ale procedure, just do the fermentation around 16 degrees C, instead of the 20 I usually do.

- Keep everything the same ?

- Should I extend the fermentation time ?

I am a bit confused and don't really want to ruin an nice ale.

Cheers

I don’t know why they suggested a proper lager yeast.

I would have thought something like US-05 or a steam beer yeast (I was expecting the link to be to the MJ California Lager yeast which is a steam yeast not a lager yeast) would have been a better option.

I have had some pretty rubbish advice from my local HB shop.

Hi!
It looks like 14°C is the top of the recommended range for this yeast - fermenting at 16°C might be pushing the envelope a bit too much. If you can maintain 14°C or even cooler, go with this yeast, but it may take a little longer to ferment, which puts time pressure on brewing a Christmas beer.
A California Common yeast, as Mick suggested, might be more suitable for what you're aiming for.

I have fermented many ales with lager yeast (IPAs, stouts etc) and they've come out great. However, I've not used that yeast before so can't say much about it. I usually stick to W-34/70 and S-33. Interestingly, I sometimes get a bigger hop character than US-05.

It might work. Some lager yeasts are fine at ale temps, such as W-34/70 but others just taste horrible and give out all kinds of off flavours.

I'd take it back and ask for either MJ M54 californian lager yeast or a clean ale yeast such as US-05/nottingham/whatever MJ's US pale ale yeast is/BRY-97 and ferment as cold as you can

I'd go back and switch it for M54 which is OK at 18-20 C. I have yet to try it but have lager malt and a pack of M54 in the fridge ready for my next brew.

It might work. Some lager yeasts are fine at ale temps, such as W-34/70 but others just taste horrible and give out all kinds of off flavours.

I'd take it back and ask for either MJ M54 californian lager yeast or a clean ale yeast such as US-05/nottingham/whatever MJ's US pale ale yeast is/BRY-97 and ferment as cold as you can

snap !... was on the phone and writing when you replied.

Wotcha, Tartan. Finished fishing for the season, and time to get a brew on?

Yes, did my first brew a few weeks back first gold pale ale using hops from the garden, then got my second brew on today..minstrel pale ale. Fishing is finished for me for the season so back to brewing and thought I'd check out the forum. :thumb:

Thank you all for your advice. I think I'll just go back tomorrow and get some ale yeast instead. Any recommendation on an ale yeast that would give some fruity notes ? I was aiming for a beer with sweetness coming through from the malt using Crystal 60 and 120. Complemented by subtle spicy and citrus notes from the hops. Some spices: cinnamon and cardamon.

Back