Newbie Keg Question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horlock07

Reaction score
Come back to Brewing after a 20 year break, all very different now.

Decided to go down the keg route rather than bottles as all the washing and cleaning used to do my head in! Did first brew, a Woodforde Sundew kit and whilst the ferment was slow the gravity ended up where it needed to be, transferred into keg with 85g of sugar two weeks back, first tester today and whilst it tastes OK and is reasonably clear its flat as a pancake, I popped a CO2 bulb in and I suggest that its not sealing round the keg lid as it seemed to sound like it was seeping out when the Co2 was going in.

The question is, if I pop the lid off and check the seal etc will that ruin it or is there another option, I used vaseline etc on the lid before fitting but at a bit of a loss really!

If you're talking about the plastic pressure barrels, you've nothing to lose by taking the lid off, make sure you release the pressure first though. After applying vaseline, it takes very little muscle to over tighten the lid and screw the seal up, and it sounds like this is what has happened. I have learned to tighten until you can just feel contact with the seal, then just give it about a quarter of a turn more.
Spray around the lid with starsan if you have it, and obviously your hands should be clean.

Last edited:
Thanks, popped the lid off this morning and as suspected there is no pressure in it, looking at the washer under the lid it seems to have pinched up in certain areas and not in others, will reset the washer in the grove, steralise and try again.

Thanks,

Edit - After sealing again, would it be an idea to put some more sugar in and transfer to a warm place again to try and get some pressure into it?

Yes, if the beer has not been kept sealed the conditioning charge of sugar you added to provide the life/fizz has probably been spent so adding more is spot on.

this time dont screw up quite so tight, a smear of keg grease or vasaline will help, and a blast from a co2 bulb can confirm the seal, a foaming starsan solution can be sprayed over the lid as a leak detector or you could use some soapy water..

good luck..

PS pedant time.. its a PB not a keg, kegs are generally Metal (Stainless steel) and take a regulated gas supply as part of a dispensing system.

Yes, if the beer has not been kept sealed the conditioning charge of sugar you added to provide the life/fizz has probably been spent so adding more is spot on.

this time dont screw up quite so tight, a smear of keg grease or vasaline will help, and a blast from a co2 bulb can confirm the seal, a foaming starsan solution can be sprayed over the lid as a leak detector or you could use some soapy water..

good luck..

PS pedant time.. its a PB not a keg, kegs are generally Metal (Stainless steel) and take a regulated gas supply as part of a dispensing system.

Thanks, have repeated the conditioning charge and will see what happens, will test the seal later in the week and if not will be on to the supplier if it won't hold pressure.

Pedant point taken. its force of habit to call it a keg so my error, although actually its not been holding pressure so who knows what it is! ;-)

Thanks for the advice, greatly appreciated!

Back