Brew Template Questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_jon_

Regular.
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Me again.. I'll stop asking questions soon. But you're all so knowledgeable and helpful that I just want to learn as much as I can.

I've learned a little from a guy on YouTube. Larry Beer n BBQ, not sure if you've seen his stuff... but he has a brewing template. Which really looks helpful on brew day. Tells you how much water to add to the boil kettle etc, I'm trying out a test one for a beer I'd like to brew and wondering about some points.

I was assuming recipes online, like... https://recipes.brewuk.co.uk/view-recipe/74

...would tell me the details and avoid the need for the spreadsheet, but the above mentioned recipe doesn't have the Water/Grist ratio. Or am I to assume that pre-boil is 25L and Grist is 5.5kg, thus the Water/Grist Ratio is 0.22L/KG. Which seems way off as his spreadsheet says average ratio is 2.6-3.1L/KG.

The template is in the description of the YouTube video here:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkk_sR6mLyA[/ame]

Another one is Grain Absorption Ratio. He says default is 1.043L/KG, but how do we confirm this?

Evaporation rate I can calculate with my boiler and water, but would this be a fair assessment since on brew day we're not boiling just water?

My main reasons for these questions are that this spreadsheet could be very handy if it's properly set up for individual brew data, and would help to calculate exact temps and measurements for what else appears to be trial and error and maybe even guess work.

So far I've filled out the brewhouse data for this recipe (the one above), minus the details mentioned where I'm confused.. and it tells me that my pre boil volume is 30.1L whereas the above mentioned recipe says 25L. That's not just a small difference.. so I'm just wondering whether anyone has any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Jon

I looked for a recipe on Brewers Friend, since they support the forum and it seems that I get all the information (if not most) that this spreadsheet does.. and if it supports the forum, I'll gladly buy an account on BF. But is it configurable does anyone know? When I click on:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/401347/thornbridge-jaipur-clone

Then click on Tools --> Quick water requirements

I don't know if that is US gallons (I assume so as it has quarts next to it) - this is a problem I've found with the spreadsheet.. some of the Imp/Met conversions are iffy. Can BF be configured accurately for metric all the way through?

....jeez, I am so bad at this. I ask a question, then go an answer it myself.

I've got BF to show me all in metric it seems. I'm going to look at this as it does seem to answer a lot of my queries.. I'm really just looking for a dummies recipe for brew day because I know I'll be so flustered that I'll likely forget all sorts at the last minute.

Any tips for BF would be greatly appreciated.

Latest posts

Back