Carbonating versus Priming Sugar

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris The Masher

Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently put a post up regarding finishing in general to which I am grateful for the many responses. I am now well into secondary fermentation and getting ready for barelling into my King Keg.

My query is; what is the difference between throwing in approximately 80 grams of sugar into the barrel versus force carbonating. I am tending towards the Force Carb but no real reason, I am just a little concerned to put roar sugar into my very carefully cared for 'green' beer.

I also intend to keep my beer in the shed (cold) until drunken due to my drinking prefernce, so should this be considered regarding which technique.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks......

By force carbonating do you mean hooking up to a CO2 tank or something different?

Here in the US, I've done both. I originally bottled which means I added a certain amount of sugar. How much sugar I added depended on several variables, not the least of which was what volume of CO2 I wanted.

When I switched to kegging, or force carbing, I still was concerned about the volumes of CO2 but how I got there differed. With kegging, it depends on the temp the beer is at and the lbs of CO2 pressure I applied from the tank.

I'm not sure if this helped at all or made things worse but if I can help clarify, I will.

Barry

Chris The Masher said:
My query is; what is the difference between throwing in approximately 80 grams of sugar into the barrel versus force carbonating. I am tending towards the Force Carb but no real reason, I am just a little concerned to put roar sugar into my very carefully cared for 'green' beer.
Well the main difference is that by priming, the yeasties carry on and ferment that extra bit of sugar to give you a natural fizz. This also means that you will get another light sediment thrown in your keg, which isn't a problem if the keg is staying in one place. It would need a few days in a warm place before you moved it to the shed. There is no need to be concerned about adding raw sugar to your brew.

My query (as I have never used one) is; can you force carb in a King Keg?

Thanks for the replies, I'm not sure if I have used the correct wording by saying force carbing ? What I am actually referring to is, pucnhing in a few shots of CO2 in through the valve at the top of the King Keg (whatever that process is called).

Does that kind of answer your question Moley, I mean you can give a few shots of CO2 to a King Keg (does this mean force carbing ?)

I think though, based on the replies I shall prime with sugar. I suppose I should if also mentioned that this is an AG brew.

Thanks...

Chris The Masher said:
What I am actually referring to is, punching in a few shots of CO2 in through the valve at the top of the King Keg (whatever that process is called).

Does that kind of answer your question Moley, I mean you can give a few shots of CO2 to a King Keg (does this mean force carbing ?)
Sorry Chris, I wasn't bouncing the question back at you, I'm hoping some other members can comment.

Many of us use the stainless steel Cornelius keg system, so we can gas up to 30 psi (or whatever) and then reduce the pressure for dispensing.

The CO2 injector on your King Keg is used for topping up the dispensing pressure, but I don't know if they will withstand the sort of pressures needed to force carbonate.

You can't force carb in a plastic keg.

When you add your primimg sugars to the keg and then seal it you then need to put it in a warm place for about a week.....then move it too a cool place for serving temperature. The primings will ferment, give condition to the beer and produce enough head pressure to dispense 5 pints or so.

You then need to add a squirt or two of gas to continue dispensing.

ATB

Ah great, I kind of get it at last.

Just one question though please Mark. When you say you pull about five pints or so and then it needs a top up; does that mean in just one go. Or, if you pull a few pints and then leave for a few days, should it kind of recharge again ?

Thanks.....

Chris The Masher said:
Ah great, I kind of get it at last.

Just one question though please Mark. When you say you pull about five pints or so and then it needs a top up; does that mean in just one go. Or, if you pull a few pints and then leave for a few days, should it kind of recharge again ?

Thanks.....

Chris,
If you pull a few pints in one session....you get to a point where the flow slows and you have to add gas to get dispense.
If you leave the beer then for a day or so, the gas pressures will equalise....gas comes out of solution to fill the head-space until they are equal in pressure. This will allow you enough gas to pour a pint or so.
It does mean though that the beer can become a little flat as you get down the barrel.
When I was using this type of keg, I always used to give it a good squirt of gas after each drinking session to stop this happening.

ATB

Back